New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

xp parallel+firefox in osX=SLOW

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Ramacher

Ramacher is on a distinguished road

I'm running windows xp sp2 in parallel with OSx on my macbook and i noticed my macbook running slow. So i started running parallel without anything open. I just noticed now that it's FireFox that causes it to run really slow. Right now i have xp open on parallel, itunes, safari, and entourage on osX and its running perfect.

Is this because FireFox is using too much of the CPU?

I have a 512 and a 256 ram in here.
Also on XP i don't run anything except activesync and outlook for my Windows Mobile device.
I know i could use missing sync to sync my device with my mac but its not windows mobile 6 compatible.
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano

That's not much ram, even for one OS...
Just to boot OSX takes 125+MB. Thats before any program even launches. So figure about that much for XP as well. Then the overhead of parallels... so that's maybe 300MB left.

Try running MenuMeters to see where the resources are going (HD, CPU, net, Ram)

schweb This has to be one of the best threads ever in MF history...
Cherokee This gets my vote for most innovative thread on Mac-Forums... ever.
QUOTE Thanks
knightlie

knightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really nice
Mac Specs: Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen

Yeah, that's not really enough memory. Running Eclipse and Firefox on my 1GB will slow it down, let alone adding Parallels.
QUOTE Thanks
Ramacher

alright Thanks guys!

I had a feeling it was the ram, just needed confirmation.

Now to come up with the money , anyone know good reputable sites? cuz even on ebay their still a little expensive and i bet when i get them they won't be 633Mhz
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano

www.arkdevices.com

schweb This has to be one of the best threads ever in MF history...
Cherokee This gets my vote for most innovative thread on Mac-Forums... ever.
QUOTE Thanks
VanillaEps

VanillaEps will become famous soon enough

www.newegg.com

I grabbed 2 X 1GB modules for $120 shipped.
QUOTE Thanks
timeslip

timeslip is on a distinguished road

I heavily use Parallels + XP to run all of my business apps (Word, Visio, Excel, Powerpoint, and various java applications). I dedicated 1gb of ram, tried it once with 768, and it was barely enough when I launch the java apps. I have another 2 gb dedicated to OSX. This configuration seems to run really well.
QUOTE Thanks
Ramacher

well i swapped my 760mb ram with my brothers 2gigs (shhh... he hasn't noticed yet) and right now i have firefox, itunes, azueres, and parallels-xp running sooo smoothly its awesome!! whats the highest a macbook supports? right now its 2x1gig sticks, what if i put 2x2gigs? will it recognize it as 4gigs or is it capped off at some limit?
QUOTE Thanks
Ramacher

So my brother found out and swapped back my ram sticks while i was sleeping

I found 2x1gb@667mhz ram on ebay for $105 shipped, i think i'm gonna go with that. But no one has answered my question about how much ram a macbook can handle.

Theres a bundle on ebay for 3gb (1gb+2gb stick) but no 2x2gb.
QUOTE Thanks
skye

skye is just really niceskye is just really niceskye is just really niceskye is just really nice
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive

i pretty sure that 2GB is the max for a macbook and the MBP can handle 3GB but its unpaired and thus really not worth it

Blog- My random musings as I document the spiritual changes I go through.

"And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love." 1st Corinithians 3:13
QUOTE Thanks
Ramacher

I asked the ebay seller the max a macbook can support and he said the same thing, 2GB. So i got my sticks in yesterday morning and back to running flawlessly!!

On windows i used to have this ram optimizer program, is there such a thing for macbooks, and if so is it needed?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« XP + Eve-Online | Parallels: Running Ubunto from External Drive »