New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Tiger and XP

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

xwingsct

xwingsct is on a distinguished road

I have windows XP installed on my Macbook for certain software that's not available for mac. When I switch to XP I would hear the fan firing up right away and as soon as I boot it to Mac the fan stops. Does XP usues more system resources than Mac ?
I chose the wrong Mac version. I'm running version 10.4.9
QUOTE Thanks
knightlie

knightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really nice
Mac Specs: Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen

Are you running Parallels, or BootCamp? Windows in Parallels on my MacBook winds the fan up a bit, it's entirely possible BootCamp does too.
QUOTE Thanks
eric06

eric06 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by xwingsct View Post
I have windows XP installed on my Macbook for certain software that's not available for mac. When I switch to XP I would hear the fan firing up right away and as soon as I boot it to Mac the fan stops. Does XP usues more system resources than Mac ?
I chose the wrong Mac version. I'm running version 10.4.9
Yes, XP uses more resources. Your next choice for a Mac OS will be released in October, until then if you buy a new Mac you will get Tiger 10.4.9.

MacBook Pro | 2.33 GHz 3 GB Ram 200 GB HD | Best Choice Ever For A Laptop | 8 GB iPod Touch
QUOTE Thanks
xwingsct

xwingsct is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightlie View Post
Are you running Parallels, or BootCamp? Windows in Parallels on my MacBook winds the fan up a bit, it's entirely possible BootCamp does too.
I use bootcamp to install XP.
QUOTE Thanks
knightlie

knightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really nice
Mac Specs: Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen

I'd guess XP is just working the processor harder then. It certainly does under Parallels, and XP has all sorts of background stuff going on all the time.

[URL="http://beadia.net"]Beadia[/URL - Jewelry Business Management Software]
I judge you when you use poor grammar.
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by xwingsct View Post
I use bootcamp to install XP.
It depends on a few things. In full screen mode, with XP not really doing anything funky, your fans should not kick in or if they do only lightly and briefly. Afterall, if you look at your system resource use, Parallels will only take up about 5% CPU if XP is resting, which is less than even Firefox or iTunes playing a video, which should not cause the fans to get loud.

I have noticed my fans can go crazy with Parallels if any of the following are happening

- XP screen saver comes on (any) and Parallels is in Windowed mode
- In coherence mode, if IE is running any Windows media or flash
- If XP is running an update
- If XP is running a real time virus scan
- If Windows defender is running a scan
- If any maintenance tasks are running

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
skye

skye is just really niceskye is just really niceskye is just really niceskye is just really nice
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post
It depends on a few things. In full screen mode, with XP not really doing anything funky, your fans should not kick in or if they do only lightly and briefly. Afterall, if you look at your system resource use, Parallels will only take up about 5% CPU if XP is resting, which is less than even Firefox or iTunes playing a video, which should not cause the fans to get loud.

I have noticed my fans can go crazy with Parallels if any of the following are happening

- XP screen saver comes on (any) and Parallels is in Windowed mode
- In coherence mode, if IE is running any Windows media or flash
- If XP is running an update
- If XP is running a real time virus scan
- If Windows defender is running a scan
- If any maintenance tasks are running
so basically, if windows is being windows?

Blog- My random musings as I document the spiritual changes I go through.

"And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love." 1st Corinithians 3:13
QUOTE Thanks
voiceofra

voiceofra has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook CoreDuo 2Ghz 768M RAM

Keep in mind that a) Windows (XP or Vista, but especially Vista) is a resource hog no matter how you slice it - native or parallels, pc or mac...
b) when you're running XP thru Parallels...well, you're running xp thru Parallels.
Parallels has to keep Windows running, Windows has to do whatever tasks you ask of it (it doesn't know it's not on a beige box or that it is being run virtually. It's a real boy!). OS X has to keep Parallels under control, do what it needs to do as OS X, etc etc.
3) More RAM helps.

Common sense, really - at least IMNSHO.
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by skye23412 View Post
so basically, if windows is being windows?
You saw right through me...:black:

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
skye

skye is just really niceskye is just really niceskye is just really niceskye is just really nice
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post
You saw right through me...:black:
well its that whole being made out of glass that did you in....

Blog- My random musings as I document the spiritual changes I go through.

"And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love." 1st Corinithians 3:13
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mircorphone not working in parallels | Please help! Windows booting problem »