New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Parallels: How to switch Fullscreen OS's?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

phaze117

phaze117 is on a distinguished road

Hey, I just installed Parallels on my macbook and I was wondering how people are switching their fullscreen osx to xp using the screen sensors? (ie tapping the side to switch from os to os) and what are the function keys to switch them? thanks
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mac's

I switch (full Screen) between OS X, Ubuntu, and XP using Parallels and VirtueDesktops. I have the hot buttons set as (+) to move 1 desktop forward and (-) to move 1 desktop back...
QUOTE Thanks
phaze117

how to you set these keys?
QUOTE Thanks
ToddG

ToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant future

By default, Parallels toggles the guest OS out of full screen mode with ALT+Enter, I believe.
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaze117 View Post
how to you set these keys?
The VirtueDesktop Hot keys are set within it's preferences.
QUOTE Thanks
phaze117

mmmm not quite what i was looking for, I mean when you switch between OS's in fullscreen mode (both in fullscreen) kind of like the rotating cube and switching between both os's seemlessly.
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

See the post above yours...

It really isn't Switching between OS's, it just looks that way... VirtueDesktops gives you multiple Desktops. So you have your 1st desktop set as normal... then you rotate to the 2nd Desktop and Open Parallels in XP, click the "Full Screen" button on Parallels VM... you now have what is essentially XP on the 2nd Desktop... Now you just use the hot key to spin (or what eve animation you have chosen) the cube. Which is what it sounds like you are wanting. In order to have a 3rd OS (ubuntu for me), you have to have another Parallels Icon in you Dock and repeat the process to allow you to "spin" between 3 OS's. Does that help?
QUOTE Thanks
phaze117

ohhhh, yeah that helps a lot. I thought Parallels itself had that feature built in. k I'll try my luck with VirtueDesktop
QUOTE Thanks
ToddG

ToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant future

Parallels does have that feature to switch between the host OS and the guest OS. See above.
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

He is talking about the Rotating Screen between the Fullscreen OS's.. you know the "bells and whistles"
QUOTE Thanks
ToddG

I know ... Parallels does it. When you go into Full Screen mode with XP and then hit Alt+Enter, it does the cool Front Row-like screen rotation.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

But that screen rotation is just eye candy to go into full screen mode. It isn't the multiple desktop thing that the OP is asking for. He probably saw a video for the Smackbook feature and wants to know how he can emulate it. Which is why he needs VirtueDesktops to put Windows on one desktop and have Mac OS X on the other(s).

VirtueDesktops also has an option for the smackbook feature that lets you smack your Macbook and the screen rotates.
QUOTE Thanks
phaze117

Kash and RIDE thanks for the input, thats exactly what i wanted to do, smack my smackbook haha. I got it to work and well, its cool now but just a feature to show off. Only been a month since i got my macbook and dayum was it worth every penny
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Reinstalling OSX after installing bootcamp | Considering Parallels »