New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Booting up and holding down 'option'

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

epb

epb is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro, 2,4 GHz Intel Core i5, 4 GB 1066 Mhz DDR3 RAM, OS X 10.8.2

I learned that you can hold down the 'option'-key when powering up to select which drive you want to boot from if you for example have a CD in the CD-drive that contains an operating system and you want to boot from that. I'm not sure i'm posting this question in the right forum as this hasn't got anything to do with BootCamp or Parallels, but here goes:

Is it possible to use this method to boot up from an usb HD? So, if I've got another OS (Linux or Windows or whatever) on an usb HD I just plug in the external HD and hold down the 'option' key on start-up to choose this drive Anyone familiar with this?
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mac's

Yes it's possible. It's one of those "at your own risk", but possible none-the-less.

Check these out.

use ipod as a bootable hard disk

Boot from iPod???
QUOTE Thanks
epb

Mac Specs: MacBook Pro, 2,4 GHz Intel Core i5, 4 GB 1066 Mhz DDR3 RAM, OS X 10.8.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIDE View Post
Yes it's possible. It's one of those "at your own risk", but possible none-the-less.

Check these out.

use ipod as a bootable hard disk

Boot from iPod???
Ok thanks! But how do you mean "at your own risk"? Is it risky if I've got an empty external HD?
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute

I say that because the Ipod was not made to be a full-time drive for running an OS... The life-cycle on an iPod HD is rated at around 20,000 hours... The HD in your MacBook is rated at around 750,000 hours. The heat generated by running an OS could damage an ipod. I have also heard of someone getting Gray Screen/Static on their Macs, and having to boot from the install discs to get back to normal.

My GUESS is that if you boot from it every now and then, your not going to have any problem.

The above is just a disclaimer. Don't get me wrong... I plan on doing it, just haven't got around to it yet. The "at your own risk" should be applied anytime you are using something in a way that it was not meant to be used.
QUOTE Thanks
epb

Ok I plan on using a 'normal' external HD (not an Ipod) so perhaps the external HD will be a bit more 'stable' in this matter...
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

It will be PERFECT!
QUOTE Thanks
twdawson

twdawson is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Intel Mac Mini with LG Flatron 20" widescreen LCD

If memory serves me right it has to be a firewire drive, because you cant boot from a usb one.
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

Intel machines can boot from USB, but PPC's cannot.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Boot Camp Size requirements? | windows default »