New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

I want no XP or W2K Internet access in Parallels

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Robert Roaldi

Robert Roaldi is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I have read much of this forum and don't think my question was answered.

I am about to switch to iMac. I currently use W2K Pro on 2 networked PC's. Eventually, the 2 PC's will be retired and there is only Windows app that I will need. It is Picture Windows Pro, an image editor that is Windows only, and it sounds like the easiest way to do this would be to run it under Parallels. I have a couple of questions about that environment.

(I should preface my questions with some info. I have a 25-year software development background but I DO NOT want to spend my evenings fiddling with computers. This is the main reason I want to switch to MAC. I want an appliance, not an ongoing software maintenance project.)

What I want to be able to do is to run the app, edit photos etc. but NEVER access the Internet while in "Windows". This means I need to be able to buy a CD with XP (or W2K) and NEVER get any patches for it, other than by ordering another CD if I absolutely needed to. Can this be done or am I dreaming? (I am sick and tired of worrying about spyware, viruses etc.)

I have never used XP. Does it try to go online without me knowing about it? Will it be crippled if I don't permit Internet access while in Parallels. Can I configure Parallels to never allow internet access?

I have nothing against W2K and in fact would prefer not to upgrade to XP if I can help it. I have always tried to stay years behind in Microsoft O/S. The W2K Pro that I have is an early release and I don't think I could use it with Paralles because I would need all sorts of patches for it and I don't want to access Windows Update online. Is it possible to BUY a W2K CD with all the up to date patches somewhere?

Thank you.
QUOTE Thanks
kgeier82

kgeier82 is a jewel in the roughkgeier82 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt

simple. go into xp, control panel. click on system, and hardware , then device manager.

simply right click on the Network adapter, after its been expaned (the little plus)

just disable it. i did the same, i dont want xp for internet .

2.4ghz Unibody | Hitachi 320GB 7200 | 256MB 9600gt
QUOTE Thanks
Rambaud

Rambaud is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Roaldi View Post
Hi,

Is it possible to BUY a W2K CD with all the up to date patches somewhere?

Thank you.
I have used nLite to make a custom version of Windows XP, including updates (it's freeware) but Parallels does not recognise it (I shall try again today) - and Windows 2K is supported too.

http://www.nliteos.com/nlite.html
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Sharing a windows folder with Mac | Antivirus programme »