New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

OS 10.4 - "Windows" Disk Image Not Working?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MacBurg

MacBurg has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.6Ghz | 200GB 7200 | 4GB Ram | 32GB iPod Touch 2G

Hi,

I have Windows XP installed running with bootcamp on my MacBook Pro, I notice when I am using OSX, there is a windows disk image that appears below the Macintosh disk icon. My friend also runs XP & Bootcamp, when he is in OSX and on his system he can open up the windows disk, then add/remove files.

However, for some reason I cannot, I can open up the windows disk, but cannot drop files into it. When I open "Get Info" on the windows disk, it tells me it can "read only" under Ownership & Permission, on my friends computer it says it can "read and write".

I would love to resolve this issue, and be able to add files to the windows OS without having to restart and boot into windows, your help would be appreciated.

Cheers Shaun.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

You formatted the disk in NTFS, which OS X can only read, and your friend formatted it in FAT32, which OS X can read and write. Only way to resolve the issue is to wipe the windows partition, and start from scratch using FAT32 (maximum partition size of 32gb)

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
MacBurg

**** it, I'm sure I never noticed an option for this when setting up the partition and installing windows.

Anyone know of any tutorials on how to wipe the partition and start again? Guess I'll be spending my saturday googling, again.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Use the BootCamp assistant to restore the startup disk to a single partition. Create a new bootcamp partition of less than 32gb. When you get to the step in the windows installation where you select the partition format it as FAT32

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
MacBurg

Just wondering if there is any way to do this re-install without needing the windows XP install disc? I dont have the disc handy anymore, and it will require a long trip to get it back. Could I just back up XP or do something similar? Your help is much appreciated,

Cheers Shaun.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« My Review of Parallels Release Candidate 3150 | Parallels or Bootcamp for Windows XP »