New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Questions about running Windows on I Mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pastle

pastle is on a distinguished road

Will you be able to run Vista with the new Leopard? How about Parallels? Which is best. I really want a 24 in. I mac later this year but I have to be able to run my Windows software on it.
QUOTE Thanks
pastle

Don't know where my post went so will try again. I plan to buy a 24 in. I Mac later this year. Will I be able to install Vista on it when Leopard comes out? And can Vista be installed on Parallels? Which is better, Boot camp or Parallels? I really need to keep my Windows software.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastle View Post
Don't know where my post went so will try again. I plan to buy a 24 in. I Mac later this year. Will I be able to install Vista on it when Leopard comes out?
Yes, but why you would want to is my question.

Quote:
And can Vista be installed on Parallels?
Yes.

Quote:
Which is better, Boot camp or Parallels? I really need to keep my Windows software.
Depends on what you want to do. If your programs require 3D graphics (like games), the Bootcamp is the better choice. For just about everything else, I prefer Parallels since it runs at the same time as OS X.

In time, I think you'll find that the Mac has all the software you need. But if you intend to buy a Mac only to run Windows, I'd ask you why you thought about switching in the first place.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Will you be able to run Vista with the new Leopard? How about Parallels? Which is best. I really want a 24 in. I mac later this year but I have to be able to run my Windows software on it.
See my answers to your other post which was basically the same.
QUOTE Thanks
pastle

Thanks,
The reason I want a mac is because I have always wanted one and because I started with windows and have so much software I never made the switch. But now that I will still be able to run my favorite software I can finally get that mac. I am looking forward to running a mac and finally learning what it's all about.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Thanks,
The reason I want a mac is because I have always wanted one and because I started with windows and have so much software I never made the switch. But now that I will still be able to run my favorite software I can finally get that mac. I am looking forward to running a mac and finally learning what it's all about.
Just keep an open mind and remember that the Mac is not a PC. It has its own unique set of quirks and it takes time to get used to it, just like getting a new car.

The reason for my comment is that it seems we have a number of members who just bought a Mac to run Windows and find themselves disappointed that although it does run Windows well, it is limited by a number of Mac traits (like only having one mouse button, having beta drivers that can be a little bit buggy, etc). If you intend to run Windows 90% of your time and explore Mac OS only on occasion, you might find yourself feeling the same way.
QUOTE Thanks
pastle

Not sure how I would run windows with only one mouse button. Now you are making me nervous!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Not sure how I would run windows with only one mouse button. Now you are making me nervous!
Well, if you are buying a desktop, you can always attach a two-button mouse. If you are buying a laptop, you can either CTRL-click for a right-click or enable the "two-fingered tapping" feature which registers two fingers tapping on the touch pad as a right-click. It is very natural once you get used to it.

This is exactly what I mean by keeping an open mind - just because you have to do things differently, doesn't mean that the Windows way is "the right way" or "better", it's just different.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

NOTE: Merged and Moved to a more appropriate forum

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Have XP-SP2 on BootCamp, can't get Parallels to open it. | Help installing Parallels, please! »