New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Boot Camp: Windows Version Question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

AduNeButt

AduNeButt is on a distinguished road

Hey, I'm looking to put Windows XP on my MacBook, but I am wondering if I need a special version of Windows XP. Can I just purchase the basic Windows XP Home disks and install it with BootCamp? Any help is appreciated.

- Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
novicew

novicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)

You need Microsoft Windows XP, Service Pack 2, Home Edition or Professional (No multi-disc, upgrade or Media Center versions. I have seen people using Vista too.
QUOTE Thanks
AduNeButt

AduNeButt is on a distinguished road

Service Pack 2? Isn't that for multi-computer use?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by AduNeButt View Post
Service Pack 2? Isn't that for multi-computer use?
No, service packs are compilations of bug fixes, updates and sometimes new features for an existing version of a Microsoft operating system. If you purchase a retail copy of Windows XP, it will likely have SP2 integrated into it. However, if you do happen to purchase an older version of the disc, it is possible to "slipsteam" SP2 and create an updated CD. You must have a PC to do this and a blank CD to burn it onto.

Keep in mind that Bootcamp requires that SP2 be integrated into the install disc. It is not possible to install an older version and then later update to SP2 as it might be on normal PCs.

This is not a problem if you choose to run Windows via Parallels.
QUOTE Thanks
jaster

jaster will become famous soon enough

I was reading about that. It says you need the single disk version of wiondows xp service pack 2. Where do you get this? Microsoft website?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
I was reading about that. It says you need the single disk version of wiondows xp service pack 2. Where do you get this? Microsoft website?
All retail copies of Windows XP are on a single disc. There was another poster who was confused and thought he needed another disc, but in fact, he discovered that he had accidentally ejected his CD.

You can purchase XP in just about any store that sells computer products, although some discount stores like Costco may have a lower price - especially now that Vista is out and they're trying to clear our old products.

SP2 can be downloaded from Microsoft's site as a standalone product if you need to integrate it for installing with Bootcamp. Instructions for creating such a disc are available here.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Vista in Parallels | Have XP-SP2 on BootCamp, can't get Parallels to open it. »