New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

AutoCAD on My Mac?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

honey16

honey16 is on a distinguished road

I recently purchased a new imac and I would like to run AutoCAD and other windows applications. I understand that "Parallels" and "Boot Camp" are two software programs that will help. What are the pros and cons of each? I heard that "Boot Camp" makes you more vulnerable to virus'.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by honey16 View Post
I heard that "Boot Camp" makes you more vulnerable to virus'.
Boot Camp doesn't make you vulnerable to viruses, Windows does.
No matter which you choose, Parallels or BootCamp, neither one is going to stop Windows from getting a virus. The Mac side of things will be fine, currently there are no viruses for Mac.
Only your Windows installation will be affected if you happen upon a virus.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
novicew

novicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)

Have you checked out the Mac alternatives yet?
QUOTE Thanks
s55lear

s55lear is on a distinguished road

Honey16 is my AutoCAD teacher. There is no way he would ever use anything else but AutoCAD, and I don't blame him. It's a much better program than any other shareware. He asked me to help him on this topic, so I searched around for mac forums and told him just to post a thread here. It definitely makes sense that if you run windows on your mac, the windows portion is the only thing susceptible to the viruses.

Have you guys experienced any major problems while running BootCamp or Parallels while connected to broadband internet? I persoanlly would just run the program and not really think about it, if a virsus comes, it comes. I don't think its a huge deal, however, some may want to be extra extra careful.

Thanks for all your help guys!
QUOTE Thanks
etowns

etowns is on a distinguished road

i found that autocad on parallels hangs a bit, especially when working with large files or with x-refs and hatches. im not entirely sure i am explaining this right, but with bootcamp you get full use of the processor & ram, where as with parallels, part of your processing power goes to holding onto mac apps, which allows you to switch back and forth. i was advised by other mac users that bootcamp was the way to go. autocad, rhino, revit, maya, cs2, no problems at all with bootcamp.

i just switched, and it works ok for me. hope this helps.
QUOTE Thanks
friday9x

friday9x is on a distinguished road

2007 student edition on my macbook works just fine!

im using boot-camp
QUOTE Thanks
s55lear

s55lear is on a distinguished road

Sounds good, I guess boot camp is the way to go. thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Ninjab3ar

Ninjab3ar has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.16ghz Core Duo | 1GB RAM | 100 GB HDD | 256MB ATI RADEON x1600

Its great to meet other Drafters/Mac Enthusiasts in this website!

I for one, use autocad 2007 via bootcamp. I really dont mind, since my windows partition (20gigs) is used only for AutoCAD and Games. OSX is for the rest of my life!
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Kinda sideways on topic...

Just a reminder that for any news on CAD/3D news for Macintosh, check out Architosh. :girl:
QUOTE Thanks
Mr Bobbins

Mr Bobbins has a spectacular aura about

I use to get forced into using AutoCad because steel factories use DXF files for laser cutting and hated it. I now use TurboCad on the Mac which I'm very happy with.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Boot Camp 2 Questions | Bootcamp game problems (Battlefield games) »