New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

My Review of Parallels Beta 3036

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

htdefiant

htdefiant is on a distinguished road

Parallels Desktop Review:
Beta Build 3036

After using Parallels for a while now, I can sum it up in one sentence: Parallels Beta is the best Windows virtualization software to date. From Coherence Mode to Drag-n-Drop this beta version has it all. In my review, I'll try and sum up it's functionality and features. First, a brief introduction. For those of you unaware, Parallels is a program that allows Intel-based Macs to run Windows right along side your OS X system.

Why do you care? Because this enables you to run "that one Windows program" or "that one thing I need for work" and still have a Mac. All without rebooting. So, what's new in the Beta? They have this new feature called Coherence mode. This makes Windows running even more seamless then before. When you press the Coherence Mode button, your Windows desktop disappears. You're left with a start menu on the bottom of your screen, and any open windows in Windows you had. Now, you can switch from OS X to Windows without noticing. I was web-editing in Dreamweaver (OS X), and I moved to Internet Explorer 7 on Windows to see how it looks in that browser. But, I didn't really notice the switch of the OS. It just happened. See attached screenshot.

It takes a little bit of getting used to, if you are accustomed to the normal Parallels window, but once you become acclimated with the new feature, you'll be amazed. The next feature is drag and drop support. Maybe it's because of the quality of the hard drive I'm on, but the transfers are blazing fast! For example, yesterday I downloaded an outline design program. Reading too quickly and not seeing it's Windows-only compatibility, I just downloaded the .zip file. When unzipped, to my dismay, I found a .exe! I opened up Parallels, and in a few seconds the .exe was transfered. Soon, I was designing entire networks with my new EDraw Network Design program. Another new feature is the ability to run your Boot Camp partition in Parallels. I admit, I haven't tried it yet. The process involves backing up your Windows partition, then converting it into a .hdd file. Then you can run it straight from Parallels. Lastly, I gave Windows Vista a go on Parallels. While it's slow (I only gave Vista 512 MB, so it's understandable), it works! My advice to you readers: If you are not already, give Parallels Beta a try. It's free!
Harrison
Windows on the Mac
http://www.windowsonthemac.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg coherencescreen.jpg (352.2 KB, 36 views)

Windows on the Mac - Forums and free support for Boot Camp, Parallels, and VMWare.
QUOTE Thanks
Reel1

Reel1 is a jewel in the roughReel1 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac

htdefiant very good review, and if you liked Parallels 3036 you will love 3120.
QUOTE Thanks
htdefiant

Has that been released yet?

Windows on the Mac - Forums and free support for Boot Camp, Parallels, and VMWare.
QUOTE Thanks
Reel1

Mac Specs: 2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac

Yep I am running it now.

http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/beta_testing/
QUOTE Thanks
htdefiant

Downloading...I guess I'll have to write another review

QUOTE Thanks
Reel1

I look forward to it
QUOTE Thanks
rcltrh

rcltrh will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook Air, 20" iMac 2.17 Ghz 1GB

Still doesnt work with my Logitec Quickcam, although it does now correctly identify it in the USB list, but when I check it to turn it on, it goes into the detecting new hardware box and hangs the machine. It doesnt crash it, just gets really really slow and sluggish and unresponsive and never does finish the hardware addition. I have to kill the VM and restart it without the camera connected and then its fine again. I was hoping that with what it said about some webcams now working it would work. Maybe next time. No other problems that I have run into yet with 3120.
QUOTE Thanks
DRIAFS

DRIAFS is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.33 GHz 2GB Ram

I just switched to a Mac Book Pro from a Dell Laptop
Parallels 2.2 came with it free.
Would you recomend using the beta version instead?
I haven't loaded windows yet
QUOTE Thanks
NJRonbo

NJRonbo is on a distinguished road

Two questions for now...

1. I just bought a mac pro and a boxed version of PARALLELS. I am waiting 9 more days for Vista Business to be released before I install PARALLELS. My question is, am I better off just installing the BETA PARALLELS first rather than touching the CD in the box? I take it I can just type in the license number that came with the CD?

2. Printer Sharing! I have a wireless printer installed with my mac Pro using an airport card and base station. Will this printer be identified under Windows (with some sort of sharing) or do I need to also set up a Wireless printer under Vista?

Look forward to your responses and the experience of using Parallels.
QUOTE Thanks
James

James is a jewel in the roughJames is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.66 - 4 Gig Ram, iMac G5 2 Gig ram 20"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIAFS View Post
I just switched to a Mac Book Pro from a Dell Laptop
Parallels 2.2 came with it free.
Would you recomend using the beta version instead?
I haven't loaded windows yet
By all means just upgrade your installed to the latest beta. Many things fixed and new features added with each new beta. Remembering that it is a BETA, not every thing will work, but each new beta gets better.

Mac Pro Intel 2.66 - 4 Gigs Ram - 10.6.1 - 30" Apple Monitor
iMac 24" 2 gigs ram - MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
htdefiant

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJRonbo View Post
1. I just bought a mac pro and a boxed version of PARALLELS. I am waiting 9 more days for Vista Business to be released before I install PARALLELS. My question is, am I better off just installing the BETA PARALLELS first rather than touching the CD in the box? I take it I can just type in the license number that came with the CD?

2. Printer Sharing! I have a wireless printer installed with my mac Pro using an airport card and base station. Will this printer be identified under Windows (with some sort of sharing) or do I need to also set up a Wireless printer under Vista?
1. Your key should work for all versions.
2. I think you'll need to set it up in Vista.

QUOTE Thanks
hiohokaybye

wut is the newest version of parallels??
QUOTE Thanks
NJRonbo

NJRonbo is on a distinguished road

Question...

Why the heck would only the latest BETA version of Parallels
work with Mac Pro and not RC1? Seems sort of backwards.
QUOTE Thanks
htdefiant

I have no idea...

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« BootCamp installation problem on new iMac 24" | Does Windows Vista Ulitmate work? »