New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Playing PC Games on Mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Choobus

Choobus is an unknown at this point

Ok I am planning on buying a imac 24 inch. I am going to upgrade it to 2 gigs ram. Also I am going to upgrade the video card to the Nvidia GeForce 7600 GT. This is the best graphics card supported by the 24 inch imac. I want to play games on this mac but, I need to know something. Can I play PC games on a mac using the Boot Camp or Parallels software? Will there be problems or slowdowns? Thanks for any feedback.
QUOTE Thanks
dewyjuhl

dewyjuhl is on a distinguished road

I have a 2.0 ghz macbook with 1gb of ram. I've used both crossover and bootcamp both have far exeeded my expectations for gaiming, and thats just using the peice of crap graphics card. I've currently installed hl2 and counter strike source with crossover which work unbelievably smooth with moderate settings. I've installed San andreas and battlefield 1942 on bootcamp both of which work fine. I doubt you'll have anyproblems good luck
QUOTE Thanks
groggy23

groggy23 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac Intel Core Duo 2Ghz 20", MacBook Intel Core 2 Duo 2Ghz 13"

Espescially with the Nvidia and that much very doubtfull you'll have any problems. Just stay away from Splinter Cell: Double Agent, it has MAJOR MAJOR bugs, espescially with Dual Core processors. Otherwise, knock yourself out. I have a 2GhZ iMac 20" Intel Core Duo w/ 1gig ram and ATI X1600 graphics card. I can play games with ease.
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Just go with Boot Camp if you are wanting to play games.
QUOTE Thanks
Choobus

Choobus is an unknown at this point

Thanks a lot for answering my question. Will my mac play game like Half life 2?
It says you need a 2.2 ghz processor, but is that for a Pentium 4 processor or does this apply for the dual core 2?
QUOTE Thanks
James

James is a jewel in the roughJames is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.66 - 4 Gig Ram, iMac G5 2 Gig ram 20"

Use Boot Camp, Parallels isn't ready for prime time as far as games are concerned.

Mac Pro Intel 2.66 - 4 Gigs Ram - 10.6.1 - 30" Apple Monitor
iMac 24" 2 gigs ram - MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
ToddG

ToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant future

Parallels doesn't support Direct3D and emulates your video card to a fairly low-powered feature set. It doesn't matter what kind of video card is in your computer, Parallels will run games the same: poorly.

In BootCamp, your computer is a PC for all intents and purposes. It will run like a Dell, IBM, HP, etc. of the same spec.
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choobus View Post
Thanks a lot for answering my question. Will my mac play game like Half life 2?
It says you need a 2.2 ghz processor, but is that for a Pentium 4 processor or does this apply for the dual core 2?
It'll run fine, just don't expect it to run at the native resolution of that 24in screen.
QUOTE Thanks
BKR

BKR is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Pro, 23" HD Cinema

on my Mac Pro, i use Bootcamp to switch between Mac and PC mainly because of Wavelab and PC Games.

all i had to do was make sure to update my video driver, get all the windows updates (all the usual PC things one would do). and it runs like a dream, no issues, i love it.

the kinds of games i play on Windows using Bootcamp are Unreal, Mech Warrior. i'd fully expect if i installed anything else it would run just as well, all with the graphics settings at full. great frame rates and response times, it's amazing.
QUOTE Thanks
Alen

Alen is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 20-inch 1GB memory 250GB hard drive 8x DL SuperDrive NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT graphics

I also played games on my 20 inch iMac with bootcamp & i can say that i was
with good results....
QUOTE Thanks
Steve-H

Steve-H is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: No Mac yet, still deciding on whether to do the big switch. Current PC is a Falcon Northwest.

It appears that bootcamp is the answer for playing PC games on a MAC but I don't see anyone saying they play MMORPG's on a MAC. Anyone have good or bad experiences trying to play one of the HUGE games such as World of Warcraft on a MAC?
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-H View Post
It appears that bootcamp is the answer for playing PC games on a MAC but I don't see anyone saying they play MMORPG's on a MAC. Anyone have good or bad experiences trying to play one of the HUGE games such as World of Warcraft on a MAC?
It will run just like it does on a regular Windows machine of the same/similar specs.

You can actually run World of Warcraft under OS X.
QUOTE Thanks
Steve-H

Steve-H is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: No Mac yet, still deciding on whether to do the big switch. Current PC is a Falcon Northwest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameis View Post
It will run just like it does on a regular Windows machine of the same/similar specs.

You can actually run World of Warcraft under OS X.
Thanks for the quick response! Now all I have to decide is...do I wait for Leopard before taking the Mac plunge!?
QUOTE Thanks
Jay Ray

Jay Ray is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: imac 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GM ram, 128mb vram, Macbook, iPhone 3G 8g

World of Warcraft works quite nicely on my ibook G4, with 512 mb of ram. (I would prefer to have 1gig for WoW.)
QUOTE Thanks
BuzWeaver

BuzWeaver will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewyjuhl View Post
I have a 2.0 ghz macbook with 1gb of ram. I've used both crossover and bootcamp both have far exeeded my expectations for gaiming, and thats just using the peice of crap graphics card. I've currently installed hl2 and counter strike source with crossover which work unbelievably smooth with moderate settings. I've installed San andreas and battlefield 1942 on bootcamp both of which work fine. I doubt you'll have anyproblems good luck
So does Crossover perform as good or better than Bootcamp?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Parallels can not be activated - no customer support | Desktop Parallels 3120 Printer won't detect. »