Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Playing PC Games on Mac
    Ok I am planning on buying a imac 24 inch. I am going to upgrade it to 2 gigs ram. Also I am going to upgrade the video card to the Nvidia GeForce 7600 GT. This is the best graphics card supported by the 24 inch imac. I want to play games on this mac but, I need to know something. Can I play PC games on a mac using the Boot Camp or Parallels software? Will there be problems or slowdowns? Thanks for any feedback.

I have a 2.0 ghz macbook with 1gb of ram. I've used both crossover and bootcamp both have far exeeded my expectations for gaiming, and thats just using the peice of crap graphics card. I've currently installed hl2 and counter strike source with crossover which work unbelievably smooth with moderate settings. I've installed San andreas and battlefield 1942 on bootcamp both of which work fine. I doubt you'll have anyproblems good luck

Specs:
    iMac Intel Core Duo 2Ghz 20", MacBook Intel Core 2 Duo 2Ghz 13"
    Espescially with the Nvidia and that much very doubtfull you'll have any problems. Just stay away from Splinter Cell: Double Agent, it has MAJOR MAJOR bugs, espescially with Dual Core processors. Otherwise, knock yourself out. I have a 2GhZ iMac 20" Intel Core Duo w/ 1gig ram and ATI X1600 graphics card. I can play games with ease.

Just go with Boot Camp if you are wanting to play games.

Thanks a lot for answering my question. Will my mac play game like Half life 2?
    It says you need a 2.2 ghz processor, but is that for a Pentium 4 processor or does this apply for the dual core 2?

Specs:
    Mac Pro 2.66 - 4 Gig Ram, iMac G5 2 Gig ram 20"
    Use Boot Camp, Parallels isn't ready for prime time as far as games are concerned.
    Mac Pro Intel 2.66 - Quad Core - 16 Gigs Ram - 10.11.2 - 30" Apple Monitor
    iMac 24" 2 gigs ram - MacBook Pro

Parallels doesn't support Direct3D and emulates your video card to a fairly low-powered feature set. It doesn't matter what kind of video card is in your computer, Parallels will run games the same: poorly.

In BootCamp, your computer is a PC for all intents and purposes. It will run like a Dell, IBM, HP, etc. of the same spec.

Quote Originally Posted by Choobus View Post
    Thanks a lot for answering my question. Will my mac play game like Half life 2?
    It says you need a 2.2 ghz processor, but is that for a Pentium 4 processor or does this apply for the dual core 2?
    It'll run fine, just don't expect it to run at the native resolution of that 24in screen.

Specs:
    Mac Pro, 23" HD Cinema
    on my Mac Pro, i use Bootcamp to switch between Mac and PC mainly because of Wavelab and PC Games.

all i had to do was make sure to update my video driver, get all the windows updates (all the usual PC things one would do). and it runs like a dream, no issues, i love it.

the kinds of games i play on Windows using Bootcamp are Unreal, Mech Warrior. i'd fully expect if i installed anything else it would run just as well, all with the graphics settings at full. great frame rates and response times, it's amazing.

Specs:
    iMac 20-inch 1GB memory 250GB hard drive 8x DL SuperDrive NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT graphics
    I also played games on my 20 inch iMac with bootcamp & i can say that i was
    with good results....

Specs:
    No Mac yet, still deciding on whether to do the big switch. Current PC is a Falcon Northwest.
    It appears that bootcamp is the answer for playing PC games on a MAC but I don't see anyone saying they play MMORPG's on a MAC. Anyone have good or bad experiences trying to play one of the HUGE games such as World of Warcraft on a MAC?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve-H View Post
    It appears that bootcamp is the answer for playing PC games on a MAC but I don't see anyone saying they play MMORPG's on a MAC. Anyone have good or bad experiences trying to play one of the HUGE games such as World of Warcraft on a MAC?
    It will run just like it does on a regular Windows machine of the same/similar specs.

You can actually run World of Warcraft under OS X.

Specs:
    No Mac yet, still deciding on whether to do the big switch. Current PC is a Falcon Northwest.
    Quote Originally Posted by mynameis View Post
    It will run just like it does on a regular Windows machine of the same/similar specs.

You can actually run World of Warcraft under OS X.
    Thanks for the quick response! Now all I have to decide is...do I wait for Leopard before taking the Mac plunge!?

Specs:
    imac 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GM ram, 128mb vram, Macbook, iPhone 3G 8g
    World of Warcraft works quite nicely on my ibook G4, with 512 mb of ram. (I would prefer to have 1gig for WoW.)

Quote Originally Posted by dewyjuhl View Post
    I have a 2.0 ghz macbook with 1gb of ram. I've used both crossover and bootcamp both have far exeeded my expectations for gaiming, and thats just using the peice of crap graphics card. I've currently installed hl2 and counter strike source with crossover which work unbelievably smooth with moderate settings. I've installed San andreas and battlefield 1942 on bootcamp both of which work fine. I doubt you'll have anyproblems good luck
    So does Crossover perform as good or better than Bootcamp?

Thread Information