New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Power Mac - upgrading 0s9 to osx tiger

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bluesdudeo

bluesdudeo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: digital audio G4 /466

Can any one explain how I can upgrade from os9 to 0s10.4.3 . I have an external dvd drive and internal cd drive. Can it be done ?
I load the dvd and double click on " install osx" I press restart to begin instalation and then an error message appears:

" an error occured .. :startup disk was unable to select the instal CD as the start up disk (2) "

Thanks for your help if possible . David
QUOTE Thanks
johntalin

johntalin is a jewel in the roughjohntalin is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: G4 AGP 400 MHz 1.34gb RAM

Yes. Buy OS10 and during installation, "Erase and Install" will get rid of OS9 and install OS10. The program comes with a CD.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Or, if you want/need Classis Support, just do an "Upgrade" when you install from the OS X disc.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
bluesdudeo

as is the problem :" an error occured .. :startup disk was unable to select the instal CD as the start up disk (2) "
QUOTE Thanks
johntalin

I am confused about the external DVD and internal CD. Are you using a Tiger CD or DVD? I think there is a difference. If Tiger CD, load it into the internal CD drive.
QUOTE Thanks
synchro

synchro is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: G5 Dual 2Ghz 4GB RAM ATI 9800XT 256MB

Be sure to do a backup. You might want to consider placing a new larger drive, format it, and then do a clean 10.4 install.
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

People are missing the problem here!

Restart and hold down T to boot up from the Firewire drive.

Tiger comes on DVD, so it needs to boot from an external DVD on a G4 PowerMac.
QUOTE Thanks
bluesdudeo

Thanks to everyone for there help.
David .
QUOTE Thanks
johntalin

I installed Tiger from my internal CD drive just recently. I bought it brand new.
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough

Tiger comes on DVD, unless you request CDs from Apple and pay a small fee.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

I don't know if you can boot from an external DVD drive.

insert your install disk into the external drive, reboot your system ans hold down the c key. Your system hopeflully will find the install disk and start the install process.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
johntalin

Sorry guys! I bought Tiger from Comp USA. I put the DVD disk that came in the box in internal CD drive and it worked! I don't have an external DVD drive. My days, they called it CD-ROM drive. Are they all the same?

:bone:
QUOTE Thanks
bluesdudeo

Hi folks,
I got sorted in the end by ringing Mac help. The trick was simple. Re-boot holding down the alt key and then following the onscreen instructions. Holding down the ( T) just brought up a firewire logo. All is well and I'm right up to date. My old maC feel brand new and I love tiger. Yes you can boot from an external dvd.

Thanks for your time even if you didn't help . The Dude :mad: not really mad much peace and Love to you all.

xxx
ps: I'm upgrading the processor soon ....look out !!!!!!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
johntalin

Another happy ending accomplished! Congratulations!
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Quote:
Sorry guys! I bought Tiger from Comp USA. I put the DVD disk that came in the box in internal CD drive and it worked! I don't have an external DVD drive. My days, they called it CD-ROM drive. Are they all the same?
You must have internal DVD drive then :black:

DVDs and CDs look the same, but DVDs have more capacity.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Boot Help! | Widescreen in PC games? »