New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

IrfanView runs in Crossover Mac!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MacDeac

MacDeac is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 2ghz, 1gb RAM, 80gb HD

I had read a little bit about Crossover Mac, which allows Mac and Linux users to run Windows programs without installing Windows. As I mentioned in an earlier message, one of the programs I missed from Windows was Irfanview. Since I could download a demo of Crossover Mac, I thought I would see if it runs Irfanview. It did not install using the installer, but when I downloaded the .zip version, unziped it to its own folder, and clicked on the .exe file, I was pleasantly surprised to see Irfanview pop up. So, I tried to see if there was anything that didn't work. The only thing I was able to find is that when you "Enhance Colors" the original and new pictures do not initially display, but they do as soon as you start to make changes. I was able to load, manipulate and save an image just like I did under Windows.

If you want to try this, you can download the demo of Crossover Mac from codeweavers.com and download the .zip file of Irfanview from the links at the very bottom of this page.

I am going to play with this some more, but I am excited to get this program running on my Macbook without having to install Windows.
QUOTE Thanks
wicker_man

wicker_man will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz/4GB/250GB, G4 Cube 450MHz + 17" Studio LCD

Looks very interesting, but shame it's for Intel macs only.

I used to use IrfanView on my old PC and it was excellent software, but I still haven't found a similar equivilent OS X app yet.

MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz, PowerMac G4 Cube + 17" LCD Studio Display, 2x1TB WD My Book Studio (FW800)
iPod Classic 160GB (Black), 3rd gen 40GB, iPhone 2G 16GB + Denon AH-C551K
NAD C370 + B&W 686 + Grado SR80
QUOTE Thanks
mr g5

mr g5 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM

I wonder if this effects performace for a game

Join the Mac-forums folding team By Clicking Here
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

I never understood the appeal of IrfanView. It's not as fast to open as Preview, not as good at organizing as iPhoto (or Picasa, for that matter), and not as powerful an editor as GraphicConverter. But Windows users seem to think it's the best thing since Solitaire.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

MacDeac, do you potentially have the excellent dual pane file manager for windows called 2xExplorer? If that program worked under Crossover Mac, that would be sufficient cause to buy Crossover Mac all by itself. I continue to search in vain for a really good dual pane file manager for Macs. Perhaps I should just give up and try to find a Windows one that will run under Crossover.

Any chance that you have 2xExplorer or could try it out and let me know if it runs? Thanks! You can get it here:

http://netez.com/2xExplorer/

See the Downloads box on the lower right of the page. This has to be just about the best dual pane file manager I have ever used.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
MacDeac

MacDeac is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 2ghz, 1gb RAM, 80gb HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac57 View Post
MacDeac, do you potentially have the excellent dual pane file manager for windows called 2xExplorer? If that program worked under Crossover Mac, that would be sufficient cause to buy Crossover Mac all by itself. I continue to search in vain for a really good dual pane file manager for Macs. Perhaps I should just give up and try to find a Windows one that will run under Crossover.

Any chance that you have 2xExplorer or could try it out and let me know if it runs? Thanks! You can get it here:

http://netez.com/2xExplorer/

See the Downloads box on the lower right of the page. This has to be just about the best dual pane file manager I have ever used.
I downloaded it, but I was unable to get it to run.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by technologist View Post
I never understood the appeal of IrfanView. It's not as fast to open as Preview, not as good at organizing as iPhoto (or Picasa, for that matter), and not as powerful an editor as GraphicConverter. But Windows users seem to think it's the best thing since Solitaire.
I agree. I never saw what the big deal about it was either.
Oh well, to each his own.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Thanks for trying MacDeac. Much appreciated.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
mr g5

mr g5 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM

I got it to run but there are to many flaws, for "unsupported apps". it has a list of apps that have been tested to work.

It also wont run a game.

Join the Mac-forums folding team By Clicking Here
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Custom resolution for Windows XP | Bootcamp hardware Issues »