New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

CrossOver or Bootcamp

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

joe.morgan

joe.morgan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Pro: 2.66ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 4gb Ram, ATi X1900 XT 512MB, 1TB HDD, 19" LCD

Never read about crossover before, does it do what it says on the tin and lets u install windows based programs onto OSX? whats the difference between this and parralles?

if i want to run a 3D Studio Max am i better to use crossover for bootcamp?
QUOTE Thanks
James

James is a jewel in the roughJames is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.66 - 4 Gig Ram, iMac G5 2 Gig ram 20"

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe.morgan View Post
Never read about crossover before, does it do what it says on the tin and lets u install windows based programs onto OSX? whats the difference between this and parralles?

if i want to run a 3D Studio Max am i better to use crossover for bootcamp?
Cross Over is a version of Wine which has been around in the Linux world for quite a while. It works somewhat in OS X and allows you to run "SOME" windows software without having the windows operating system on your system. It is rather limited in what you can run.

If your looking to run MOST windows software you will need either Parallels or Boot Camp or as some are doing both... With Parallels you will need to install Windows into your computer and then you can run most windows programs quite well while also running OS X programs at the same time. The latest version of Parallels which is 3120 works very well and in its coheasion mode allows windows and osx going at the same time very well.

With Boot Camp you will get better ability to run windows games because you are dual booting either windows or os x so when you boot windows you are actually running windows, but Paralles gives you very good ability to run both at the same time.

Pick your poison...

Mac Pro Intel 2.66 - 4 Gigs Ram - 10.6.1 - 30" Apple Monitor
iMac 24" 2 gigs ram - MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Using Flash Drive to go from 0s9 to osX | macbookpro + bootcamp + remote control! »