New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Windows XP Deactivates on OS X

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

DrSeussFreak

DrSeussFreak is on a distinguished road

Ok, I am a windows guy who is currently in process of configuring 2 Macs (1 Mac Pro 3 and 1 Mac Book Pro) to use Boot Camp and Parrallels to run Windows.

Every time Windows starts up (in either parrallels or botting to it holding the option key) Windows is no longer activated. It then tells me that I have to call each time since it has been activated too many times.

Any ideas? This is going to be a problem soon since these have to be deployed.

Thanks!:alien:

"Adults are just obsolete children, and to **** with them" - Dr. Seuss
QUOTE Thanks
Gav

Gav is on a distinguished road

Your only allowed to install XP on one system.
QUOTE Thanks
DrSeussFreak

It is, I have 2 copies, 1 on each.

QUOTE Thanks
James

James is a jewel in the roughJames is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.66 - 4 Gig Ram, iMac G5 2 Gig ram 20"

Has either of those copys ever been installed on another computer?

And no matter even if they have if they are telling you to call daddy then the only way you are going to get them working is call MS explain yourself and then they can authorise them to run. Lots o luck...

Mac Pro Intel 2.66 - 4 Gigs Ram - 10.6.1 - 30" Apple Monitor
iMac 24" 2 gigs ram - MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
DrSeussFreak

No, this is for a company and we are legit. 2 new retail copies of XP were installed, I guess I am calling Little Big Brother

QUOTE Thanks
taylorwilsdon

taylorwilsdon is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.4ghz 4GB RAM

Its an issue with Parallels and Windows thinking its a different machine each time you start Parallels. They've got a fix in their newest version, I think. Check their website forums.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Are you using the same copy on both Parallels and Boot-camp on the same computer? Even that is considered TWO machines and will do the activation thing. You need 2 copies of Windows for the same machine if you are going to run both Boot-camp and Parallels on it! Sort of Unfair but it's the way it works. If I am wrong sorry, but I see no other reason for your problem.
QUOTE Thanks
NellyNel

NellyNel is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Power Mac 2x Dual Core Xeon 2.0Ghz, 4GB RAM, 2x 250 GB SATA HDs, 1x SuperDrive

A common misconception is that you need two CD Key's (Licenses) in order to run both bootcamp and parallels on the same machine but with two seperate installs, respectaviely. The new version of Parallels coming out will avoid this anyways and allow you to run your bootcamp install as a Parallels install, however if you prefer two seperate installs it is perfectly legit. You will have to call on the second activation however, but in the EULA (in fact for just about any big name software) you can install the software on more than one machine provided that: it is not possible to run the software on two machines at the same time, and if so it is not by two different users (only one user) and if you needed a copy on your laptop you take home, but also a copy on your work only computer. Reading your EULA can help you greatly. I called MS and explained I'm running a Mac Pro with Parallels and Boot Camp and they gave me no hassle. What do you know, an MS story that doesn't end in tears or additional money spent! Of course, this implies your copy is legit.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« XP Crash? | Can't rename Windows disk on OS X desktop »