New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Windows virus while running Bootcamp on my Mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ScottsFire

ScottsFire is on a distinguished road

Next week I am purchasing Mac Book Pro and I have one or two programs that do not have Mac versions. I want to run BootCamp with XP but will this subject my new Mac to all the virus and crap that comes with XP etc.
If so, I wont go down that road because one of the reasons I want to switch is because of all the bugs etc.

2nd question: once I've loaded Bootcamp Beta and XP successfully, if I come across programs in the future that don't have a mac version will I beable to load to the XP side of my mac that program???

If you can't already tell I'm new at this and have been a PC user for 15 years............but I'm finally getting my act together and getting a Mac :headphone
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

If it can effect windows then it can effect windows. Viruses and other problems effect (or infect if we are being specific to viruses) windows. It does not matter the hardware you are running windows on, windows is windows.

You can run any windows software you want in windows on boot camp.. its still windows.

So your questions 1+2 both have the same answer: yes.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
ToddG

ToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant future

It's important to note, however, that your BootCamp Windows partition cannot read or write to your Mac OS Extended partition. So while you might get a PC virus and it might totally frack your Windows system, you will still be able to reboot into a nice, clean, virus-free Mac OS.
QUOTE Thanks
ScottsFire

ScottsFire is on a distinguished road

So, do you guys think its even an issue.........I guess I could run Norton Anti-virus on my windows side.

I've heard talk of CrossOver Mac............if I'm only going to run one or two programs would it be better to do a emulating program instead of a full blown xp version????
I mean as current Mac users do you find yourself wishing for or sometimes wanting a PC side for running PC programs???

Thoughts opinions and comments.............

Its tough since I'm new to the Mac world..........
QUOTE Thanks
ToddG

ToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant future

You can do a Search, this issue has come up many times.

Short answer:

If you want to run most applications -- except those requiring 3D graphics and those requiring maximum processor power -- you can run an emulator. Parallels is by far the most popular. I use it for running MSIE when I need ActiveX access, and other little necessities that aren't easily (or cheaply) available for Mac yet.

If you do need the full benefit of your process and RAM and video card, then booting directly into WinXP is a much better solution. You do that with BootCamp.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« i wont to run windows on my mbp | imac stuck on blue/gray screen after trying to install bootcamp »