New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Paralells & Bootcamp

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

imanoone2u

imanoone2u is on a distinguished road

I'm sorry if this covered elsewher, but I can't seem to find it...

I have installed bootcamp and XP SR2 on my MAC and have sims2 running in the XP section. It seems to go well.

I've only just moved over to MAC and have some windows programs that I'd like to use, but via OS X v10.4

Question: Can I install Paralells even though I've got bootcamp installed?

Or is there a different way to access windows programs through OS X v10.4

Thank you

ImaMacConvert2U
QUOTE Thanks
Reel1

Reel1 is a jewel in the roughReel1 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac

I am sure that you can install parallels, Parallels will run all of your windows software well with the exception of anything that requires 3d.
QUOTE Thanks
Sr-ultimate

Sr-ultimate is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" / 2.16 GHz / 1GBRAM / 120GB HD

So one cannot run games, right ? I mean like NFS MW or GTA SA .
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel1 View Post
I am sure that you can install parallels, Parallels will run all of your windows software well with the exception of anything that requires 3d.
DVD player also will not work under parallels - also cannot play a DVD in OS X while parallels is running

Doubt very seriously that Need for Speed would run well enough to be playable if at all under parallels

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
ToddG

ToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by imanoone2u View Post
Question: Can I install Paralells even though I've got bootcamp installed?
Yes. The next version of Parallels to be released will even let you use the already-installed files in your Boot Camp partition, so you don't have to install WinXP twice. The current (retail) version of Parallels, however, requires you to install WinXP all over again. It's a completely separate "machine" so to speak.

Quote:
Or is there a different way to access windows programs through OS X v10.4
There are competing products to Parallels, but Parallels seems to be the dominant market leader for now.

Parallels does not have support for high-end graphics (including Direct3D) so you cannot play most graphics-intensive Windows games using Parallels. For gaming, BootCamp is your best bet IMHO.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« external hd with boot camp | Slipstream XP from SP1 to SP2 »