New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Running Fedora Core 6 using Parallels on Firewire Drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

alucard

alucard is a jewel in the roughalucard is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro Quad 2.66GHz Intel Xeon W/3GB Ram & 250GB HDD

I'm trying to get Parallels to run a Fedora Core 6 image from a firewire drive. I downloaded an image from HERE. When i boot from my local HD it boots up, although it doesn't go to the GUI screen. It did before, but then i removed the files to start over from the original image again while i was testing. When i try it from my firewire drive i get either a CRC error or a kernel panic. I know since its from someone elses image this may not be fixable but i was wondering if anyone else is able to get it to work from a firewire drive.

Update: I tried the image from my local HD and now it goes to the GUI desktop. But still from my firewire drive it gives a CRC error when it tries to boot the kernel.
QUOTE Thanks
alucard

I think it might be the firewire on my external drive. I switched to USB and it seems to be working. I'm going to do some more testing.

EDIT: After much testing i'm certain its the firewire ports on the external drive.
QUOTE Thanks
stephdau

stephdau is on a distinguished road

Hey,

I'm the author of the image you have downloaded from my site.

My best guess is that since the img you have downloaded is a basic FC6 install, the provided kernel most likely does not have IEEE 1394 (Firewire) support.

Suggestions:
- easiest: keep on using USB(2) if you can.
- more complicated: boot the img from a usb or local drive, then recompile the kernel with firewire support.

Hoping that'll help

Cheers,

Stephane

PS: I'm away on vacation, w/o a stable net conn, so I don't know how fast I'll be able to reply to follow up questions if there are any.

EDIT: the PPC version of FC6 might have built-in firewire support since it is primarily aimed at Macs, but the x86 one (the vm) most likely does not since very few PCs (besides the Mac/Intel) do come with IEEE 1394.
QUOTE Thanks
alucard

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephdau View Post
Hey,

I'm the author of the image you have downloaded from my site.

My best guess is that since the img you have downloaded is a basic FC6 install, the provided kernel most likely does not have IEEE 1394 (Firewire) support.

Suggestions:
- easiest: keep on using USB(2) if you can.
- more complicated: boot the img from a usb or local drive, then recompile the kernel with firewire support.

Hoping that'll help

Cheers,

Stephane

PS: I'm away on vacation, w/o a stable net conn, so I don't know how fast I'll be able to reply to follow up questions if there are any.

EDIT: the PPC version of FC6 might have built-in firewire support since it is primarily aimed at Macs, but the x86 one (the vm) most likely does not since very few PCs (besides the Mac/Intel) do come with IEEE 1394.
Stephane,
Thank you for the help. I am getting a new external firewire drive enclosure anyway because i noticed other strange things when using it (my DV wasn't playing correctly and some others).

I will keep this in mind when i get the new drive enclosure. When the new one arrives and it does the same thing i wont be going crazy, lol Thanks again.

BTW, The image is great when i use it on my local HDD. You did a great job.
QUOTE Thanks
alucard

I got my new external firewire drive and it works but it doesnt go to the GUI desktop. it goes to a command line. This is better than the other drive. the other drive would crash trying to uncompress the kernel.
QUOTE Thanks
stephdau

stephdau is on a distinguished road

See the comments at the original vm page for a few solutions to that issue.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« extremely slow install speeds with bootcamp on macbook | Forgot password for iBook OS 9.2 and no CD! »