New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

VMWare vs. Parallels

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

markw10

markw10 is an unknown at this point

I have used Parallels for quite some time and now that it supports the Boot Camp I like it even more since I can also use Boot Camp when necessary (such as when I play a computer game).
I am hearing a lot about VMWare now though. Does anyone use VMWare on here and how does it compare to Parallels?
QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

caribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina 13" among far too many other Apple products

Well, for one, VMWare Vitualization for the Mac (codename Fusion) isn't in general release yet-- it's still in Beta.

I rely pretty heavily on my Windows partition, so I haven't taken the plunge on VMWare yet because I'd hate to run into a bug at a critical moment.

I am a regular Parallels user and I'm very pleased with it.
QUOTE Thanks
vandal31593

vandal31593 is on a distinguished road

VMWare is an emulator, which means the graphics quality is nothing compared to the quality in Mac OSX or Windows via Bootcamp. But unfortunately i have never used parallels and i really don't know if the graphics are emulated in that too. I play games(like Half-Life 2) on my 15" Macbook Pro via Bootcamp and the graphics are insane. Everything including details and models are recommended on High settings. I'll research more on Parallels and get back to you.

iMac C2D
Macbook Pro CDuo
iPhone 3G 8GB
twitter.com/hadimirza
QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

caribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina 13" among far too many other Apple products

Graphics are emulated in Parallels, and as a result anything that uses 3d graphics won't work at this point.

Both Parallels and VMWare have stated that they're working on the issue now.
QUOTE Thanks
vandal31593

vandal31593 is on a distinguished road

thanks carbiner23, I wasn't sure about the graphics emulation in Parallels. I would rather go with Bootcamp since nothing is emulated.

iMac C2D
Macbook Pro CDuo
iPhone 3G 8GB
twitter.com/hadimirza
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« internet in bootcamp | Can't install Boot Camp-Says Verification failed, Disk Utility won't repair »