New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Mac Pro - Windows or not, on Mac?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Reborn

Reborn is on a distinguished road

Is Windows-based software on Mac as solid and reliable as Tiger-based software on Mac since it's in Mac? Or, is Windows-based software on Mac as cluttered as on PC?
QUOTE Thanks
Jeff

Jeff is a jewel in the roughJeff is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube

It's the exact same operating system that's on a PC. Nothing is different. Same bad user interface, clunky controls and annoying system pop-ups.
It's not, nor will it ever be Mac OS.

Black MacBook
Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic
B&W G3
G4's - PowerMac & Cube
QUOTE Thanks
christm

christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1

it is the same as it would be if you ran it on a windows pc.

it doesnt make any difference if the version of windows is running on a mac or a pc, its still windows.
QUOTE Thanks
James

James is a jewel in the roughJames is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.66 - 4 Gig Ram, iMac G5 2 Gig ram 20"

Except for the fact that xp seems to run faster on my Mac Pro than it does on my pc with an amd 64 chip, it is the same.

Mac Pro Intel 2.66 - 4 Gigs Ram - 10.6.1 - 30" Apple Monitor
iMac 24" 2 gigs ram - MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
Mactheknife

Mactheknife is on a distinguished road

^^^^I will second that. XP runs much more smoothly on my Mac. Probably because you get the system clean without all of that crap that comes with buying a new computer.
QUOTE Thanks
Reel1

Reel1 is a jewel in the roughReel1 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac

Windows runs..well like windows however like James said it seems to run quicker then on my PC. I have installed it due to a couple of things that I need for work or I would have been happy with Office for Mac 2004. If you are planning on using windows make sure your AV software is up to date. A virus may not effect OSX but it will still effect the Windows on your machine.

Many people run Windows through boot camp, I am not a gamer so I have settled for Parallels...so far so good
QUOTE Thanks
CrossBones

CrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
It's the exact same operating system that's on a PC. Nothing is different. Same bad user interface, clunky controls and annoying system pop-ups.
It's not, nor will it ever be Mac OS.
Bwahahahahahha.

So true. REP!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
thefarpavllions

thefarpavllions is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15-inch 2.16GHz

Windows also comes along with all the problems associated with Windows..
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
Except for the fact that xp seems to run faster on my Mac Pro than it does on my pc with an amd 64 chip, it is the same.
Thats because intel > AMD and well it probably cost more.
QUOTE Thanks
KoDorSean

KoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3

I don't but if I did have an intel mac you could not pay me to run windows on it.

I was on the M-F honor roll for month : May 2007
QUOTE Thanks
WGI

WGI is on a distinguished road

Windows is not a bad operating system. I just got my first mac last month after switching from windows and I have to say I like mac better but in terms of games, windows is just better. But everything else should be left to a mac.
QUOTE Thanks
Reborn

Reborn is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys. I'll be getting a macpro notebook soon, for Final Cut Pro and Aperture. But now that windows is available for mac, I recommend trying Sony Vegas7. I've been using Vegas and for its capabilities and stability (has much less system requirement than other PC proNLE and can still handle alot) and its pricetag --- it's probably the best-value NLE for PCs. Since it started out as a popular audio app(Sonic Foundry), it's at the same time a good soundtrack editor --- many people still use it just for audio. Being that the computer industry releases its major advancements roughly every 4 years, and that this year will be for multi core 64 bit, I'm looking forward to finally using FCP and Aperture. My main use for computers is for video photography and site www.spectraproductions.ca
QUOTE Thanks
Mathiau

Mathiau is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook Black 2ghz / 2g / 160g72k | Ipod nano black 4G

Obviously Windows will be faster on a new macbook or pro with an intel core 2 duo cpu for the simple fact the CPU is kicking the crap out of anything on the marketing and past, this is why it runs faster, no other reason. So unless you currently own a core 2 duo computer, you cant compare your other systems to your macbook and say it is faster thinking it has something to do with the "apple" hardware or bootcamp or parallels, it is the same hardware now you can buy for a PC.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Have Windows XP but not SP2 version?? READ HERE | Half-Life 2 Through Bootcamp? »