Las Vegas, NV USA
    iMac, and Macbook Pro
    Worried about Parallels
    I have an unopened copy of Parallels and an unused copy of Windows XP. But, I'm afraid to install them! I don't want to get back into that Windows/Virus/Spyware rat race where I have to run defenders and cleaners all the time. Here's my question: If I install Parallels and XP but NEVER run a browser under XP, am I safe? Or, can just the presence of XP on my machine allow bad stuff in?

Hamburg, Germany
    MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
    Why do you want to install XP? Are you a gamer?

If you don't surf internet there is a good chance to maintain a virus free system.

I run XP both through Paralells and Boot Camp. I do not worry about virus/etc from either.

My Boot Camp partition cannot even read/write to my Mac OS X partition; so if I did get a virus on the Boot Camp partition -- which I use only for gaming and sometimes web browsing related to gaming -- then it's no great loss. Worst case scenario, I lose a few saved games and have to reinstall.

My Parallels virtual machine can see and write to my Mac OS X system, but if my understanding of how most viruses and spyware work is correct, the worst case scenario, again, is that my Parallels virtual machine might be corrupted and need a reinstall.

Now, I suppose it is possible that there is a Mac-specific virus out there that could get in through Parallels (running, for example, IE) but I doubt it.

If you don't use WinXP to browse/email, it should be virtually impossible to get a virus anyway unless you're playing online games and somehow caught something from an unprotected network.

Cleveland, Ohio
    MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
    Please search....this has been discussed many times.
    schweb | community leader
    flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

You will still have to configure XP the same in Parallels as you would on native hardware. I have virus protection, spam blockers, spyware blockers all running on the Parallels version of XP. Now the up side is after I installed XP got all of the patches and installed all the software, I copied these "virgin" Parallels files to a external drive. Now if the running version of Parallels XP gets trashed I just kill the files and drag copies of the originals to the hard drive for active service. I'll make new "originals" whenever I make major changes to the XP install and know that its clean. Sort of like taking snap shots onec and a while.

This way I never have to recreate the XP install. Makes using XP, those rare times I want to, a piece of cake. Much easier than running it stand alone.

Thread Information