New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

iwork or ms office?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Malachi

Malachi is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.0 white book with some niffty icons

What should I get?
Going to pick up my macbook this week.
QUOTE Thanks
James

James is a jewel in the roughJames is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.66 - 4 Gig Ram, iMac G5 2 Gig ram 20"

iWork is very good if you want to do presentations and almost a desktop publishing. However, if you need to maintain full compatability with the pc world which uses mostly Word, then get Word as you will run across Word docs that iWork will probably not handle.

Neooffice and Open Office will give you good compatability with Word and are both fine office programs, and free, still if you need complete compatability then MsWord is really your only choice. For the 90% who don't need the full compatability then Neo office, Open Office, and iWork do very nicely at far less cost.

Mac Pro Intel 2.66 - 4 Gigs Ram - 10.6.1 - 30" Apple Monitor
iMac 24" 2 gigs ram - MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
What should I get?
Going to pick up my macbook this week.
You need to give a little more detail on what type of environment you'll need to use it in. At this point I'd say Office. While Keynote is really good, Pages leaves alot to be desired. I'm hoping that iWork 07 features an overhaul of Pages.

I have both, I tend to use Office alot more because I just find Pages frustrating and Keynote's PowerPoint compatibility is just so-so.

Open Office won't run natively in OSX, you have to install X11. And to me, both OpenOffice and NeoOffice look like a throwback from 1985 from a UI perspective, but that could just be me.

BTW, try searching the forum, this has been discussed a ton and you'll find great information. That's always the best place to start.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
Kar98

Kar98 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac mini i5, 2.3Ghz dual core, 8 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.2

I'm sorry, out in the real world, MS Office is standard.

I has a signijer.
QUOTE Thanks
rcltrh

rcltrh will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook Air, 20" iMac 2.17 Ghz 1GB

You also won't have a spreadsheet program (Excel) if you don't go with Office. Possibly not that important for some, but vital for others. I love Office:Mac and prefer it to iWork and have used both quite a bit. I definitely prefer Entourage to the separate programs of mail, calendar, and address book.
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

check out neo office.

free and pretty much all of the functionality of office (standard).
QUOTE Thanks
Malachi

Ok let me go into a little more detail then.
I am getting the mac for school to make my notes legible
I was thinking the ms office because my wife will want to use the laptop as well
and will not be as ready to adapt to the mac environment as I will.
I have seen the presentation software with the iwork and it looks awesome. I may buy the other software down the road just not sure what to get now.
QUOTE Thanks
DrQuincy

DrQuincy will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" Core Duo Macbook Pro

When I was a Windows user I ended up using OpenOffice over MS Office purely for the PDF export option. I'll admit I'm not an advanced user but OpenOffice and now NeoOffice does everything I'd ever need. I'd found the OpenOffice to MS Office compatability to be pretty good. The best thing you can do is trial NeoOffice (since it's free) and see how well it works for you.

Oh, and if you're worried about ease of use - how you ever used Office 2007? Very badly designed in my opinion.
QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

caribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina 13" among far too many other Apple products

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
Ok let me go into a little more detail then.
I am getting the mac for school to make my notes legible
I was thinking the ms office because my wife will want to use the laptop as well
and will not be as ready to adapt to the mac environment as I will.
I have seen the presentation software with the iwork and it looks awesome. I may buy the other software down the road just not sure what to get now.
In that case, Microsoft Office is your best bet.

I agree that Keynote (the presentation software with iWork) is awesome, but as pointed out above iWork doesn't include a spreadsheet program, and Pages leaves a lot to be desired if Apple wants it to be taken as a serious word processor. If you want to make the transition from Windows easier, Office is the way to go.

Good luck!
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Just get MS Office. There's actually a note-taking mode in Word on the Mac that is pretty cool.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
Kar98

Kar98 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac mini i5, 2.3Ghz dual core, 8 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrQuincy View Post
Oh, and if you're worried about ease of use - how you ever used Office 2007? Very badly designed in my opinion.
Outlook 2007 is an improvement, but I could do without the screwed up menus in Word 2007.

I has a signijer.
QUOTE Thanks
Malachi

The most resent office I have is xp so I don't have much to compare it to as far as new stuff.
QUOTE Thanks
Ximalli

I suggest getting Open Office for the Mac. It's free and you can save files as Microsoft .doc format and the file will work perfectly in any Word application.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple remote on Windows? | Dumb Question »