New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

iTunes and CD/DVD issues with Parallels

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

d.c.1

so i've just bought a new MacBook Pro and installed Parallels. everything seems to work fine so far, except if i install iTunes on both Mac OS and Windows XP, the one on XP doesn't play the disc or import the music. it just kinda goes haywire. i've since uninstalled iTunes from XP, but even now when Parallels is running XP, the Mac OS does not recognize an inserted CD or DVD. i have to shut down the virtual machine before it shows up in iTunes of even on the desk top.

how do i fix these problems without having to shut down the virtual machine? is it possible to run two seperate iTunes on the same laptop? i'll be working in XP a lot and want to be able to play mp3s and import music etc. while in XP mode.

thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Can't you just play the music in OS X then just tab over to Windows and still hear it?
QUOTE Thanks
ericlivingston

ericlivingston is on a distinguished road

I have this problem too. My Mac OS doesn't recognize any CD when Parallels is running. When I look at the Finder it shows the [C] drive as Microsoft Windows instead of the CD that is inserted.

Is it possible to have Parallels running in the background and have access to the CD drive from the Mac side at the same time?
QUOTE Thanks
ericlivingston

ericlivingston is on a distinguished road

I know I can disconnect the CD drive from Parallels and then the Mac OS will see it again, but is there a way to have the CD drive connected to both OSs at the same time?
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

Go into Parallels preferences. There are tabs there for various hardware. Personally, I disable cd/dvd for Parallels. That way a cd/dvd always mounts to Mac. If I need it in XP, I simply go to the lower right bottom of the Parellels window where the icons for CD, Network, USB, etc are located. By right clicking I can enable the CD and connect to whatever is in my superdirve. Let us know if that works and good luck!
-Dave
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericlivingston View Post
I know I can disconnect the CD drive from Parallels and then the Mac OS will see it again, but is there a way to have the CD drive connected to both OSs at the same time?
I don't believe so. You could, however, use Disk Utility or a cd "ripper" type application to make an ISO file of the cd/dvd if you needed access to it on both Mac and Windows simultaneously. I don't think it would work with application software like games, but it should work with movies, photos and possibly music you burnt yourself.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Installed Parallels and Windows XP | explorer.exe not loading automatically »