New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

MacBook Pro - DirectX 10

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

d_rock

d_rock is on a distinguished road

I'm planning on buying a Macbook Pro (15 inch, 2.33ghz) and am planning on frequently using Windows on it. I am very concerned about the longevity of the notebook and how happy I'll be with it in a year or two from now. I want to have it for a long time and be pleased with it.

I have confidence in the MBP running Vista, however I am a little confused on the DirectX 10 part. Do you need to have a special GPU in order to use DX10? Or is it just a driver issue that can be resolved?

From what I understand the MBP's card should be able to run DX10 with no problems provided that the drivers are released. But I just wanted to get you guys' opinion.

I will be using the notebook for school related things but mostly personal things such as movies and gaming and want to make sure I can play the newer games that will be coming out (Hellgate:London in particular). I know some of these games will require DX10 so I need to make sure the current MBP's will be able to run it.
QUOTE Thanks
Osiris22x

Osiris22x will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)

DirectX is basically a horribly written set of "quick fix" graphic instructions to make game development easier. It should work just fine on a Macbook Pro running Windows...

Roger Michaels
Apple Certified Consultant
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

DX10 is a prickly topic... DirectX10 can only be installed as part of windows Vista for a start. To take full advantage of the new shaders (SM 4.0) and the faster rendering, you will need a card designed for DX10. However, any current DX9 card will also be able to perform DX10 rendering, only a lot slower. The game you mention will almost certainly run on your MacBook.

Just be aware that actually no current notebook has a fully DX10 compliant GPU right now, even those claiming to be Vista ready.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
d_rock

d_rock is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies, guys.

You know what, I don't think it's really that big a deal to try and wait for a DX10 card. I mean as it is most current specs are more than enough, and new technology will always arise, so I might as well grab the Macbook Pro that I want now.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« problems using MacDrive | Parallels update 3060 »