New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

iMac and windows

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rxdawg

Does anyone have an iMac running windows? If so are you using Parallels or boot camp? I am looking at buying a new iMac and I have 2 windows programs I need to run. These programs are not Microsoft based. I would love to run these using my Mac instead of having a separate windows machine. I am just worried that I won't be able to run more proprietary programs. Thanks for any help.

rxdawg
QUOTE Thanks
novicew

novicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)

Lots of M-F members here use XP on their Macs one way or the other. It is up to you to decide how you want to run it. Parallels is slower than using Boot Camp but you have the possibility to access both operating systems simultaneously. On the other hand install XP using Boot Camp is faster but you will not be able to run OS X and XP at the same time. In either case there shouldn't be a problem installing Windows programs.
QUOTE Thanks
BIG D 04

BIG D 04 is a jewel in the roughBIG D 04 is a jewel in the roughBIG D 04 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)

I tried both methods....I ended up sticking with OSX

However when ever I'm forced to run Windows Stuff I boot it up via Boot Camp which is very good, I just can't face seeing my OSX go down So in the new year I should have my new monitor for my Media Centre PC then I'll be happy!

Damien Healy
iMac 20" OSX 10.4.9 Tiger | thebigman87.com |
QUOTE Thanks
hclincha

hclincha is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 17", Intel Core Duo

Depending on the application, it might be possible to run it through CrossOver as well. That's basically DarWine with a good GUI.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook running windows XP potential to viruses? | Resizing partitions »