New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Problem with Parallels-Can't see Whole Screen

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

markw10

markw10 is an unknown at this point

I set up Parallels with Windows XP yesterday and am amazed how well it works. Here is my problem. It was working fine and at times I'd use it as a window, other times as a full screen. Well now for some reason when not in full screen the window doesn't show up right. Well I can move it from left to right across the screen to see all but I can have the window all the way at the top of the screen but yet you can't see the bottom so for example I can't even go low enough to see the taskbar and the start menu so obviously it's not even useful in windowed mode. To add to that, over at the right side of the screen I dont have any of the parallels icons anymore, icons for things such as full screen, etc. They are all gone. I have no clue how this happened. How can I get out of this without reinstalling parallels?
QUOTE Thanks
captclose

captclose will become famous soon enough

Did you install Parallels Tools yet?

MacBook 2.0Ghz - 2Gig RAM - 60GB HD / 4GB iPod Nano
Recent Windows Convert
QUOTE Thanks
markw10

markw10 is an unknown at this point

Well at the top there is a pull down menu that is for installing Parallel Tools. I clicked on it and it prompted me to uninstall it so I assume it's installed but how do I get into Parallel Tools? I did finally get the icons back on the right side of the screen but still I can't change the screen size.
QUOTE Thanks
captclose

captclose will become famous soon enough

I don't think you can change the window size without changing your screen resolution within Parallels. I could be wrong.

Once I installed "Tools" Parallels started automatically optimizing my screen resolution when switching back and forth to full screen. Now I just use the keyboard shortcuts to switch modes.

MacBook 2.0Ghz - 2Gig RAM - 60GB HD / 4GB iPod Nano
Recent Windows Convert
QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

caribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina 13" among far too many other Apple products

Sometimes you need to run through the Parallels Tools installer a couple times before it fully takes.

Once you have it installed, it will show the screen properly, as capt. says above.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« awesome application | os 8.1 »