New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

is bootcamp my best bet? (gaming)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

so, one thing i miss about my old windows, e-hem, desktop replacement hp notebook, was it's ability to play "sim" type games rather well.

as you can see to the left, i've got a decent macbook, but even if i run bootcamp will i be able to run these games that i've already got for windows:

sim city 4 + rush hour expansion
sims 2
civilization 4
tropico

i did buy sim city 4: rush hour for mac, but it creeeeeeps along even on a small map with a small population on moderate detail/effects.
i also bought tropico 2 for mac, and this seems to run ok, but it does crash after about an hour or so of play.

should i expect any better performance running the games under windows?
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

IMO, the MacBook is crippled by only allowing the GMA950 64MB of RAM. I have Civ IV (Mac version) and it's really S L O W

I don't thnk it was entirely necessary for Apple to create such a gulf between the MB and the MBP in the gfx rendering department... but they did and we have to live with it. The MB is no gaming machine, so to enjoy the odd game of Civ or even Sims 2 at a decent frame rate, you need to spend the extra $1000.

This is my only real criticism of Apple's marketing of these machines... but I'll live.
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

maybe i'll just try crippling the effects and such on sc4 and see if at least runs ok. i don't mind it looking a bit ugly, i may just not be able to do the vehicle missions.

i wonder, maybe if i create a second logon specifically for gaming and then make it run next to nothing extra (disable airport, widgets, etc) just to keep it lean and mean, if that might help?

[edit]at least i have a ps2 - thank god![edit]
QUOTE Thanks
Bossworld

Bossworld is an unknown at this point

sims 2 is deadly slow on xp, but GTA:SA plays at full settings :S
QUOTE Thanks
Chewbacca

Chewbacca is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Core 2 Duo 2.0 Ghz

I also have a Macbook with 1 gig of RAM, when I boot into Windows I have about 200 MB or more free RAM than I do in Tiger.

I have Halo on both the Windows and Tiger sides. There is a severe shortage of free RAM when I play in Tiger! It starts to rely on Virtual Memory instead. The Windows version of Halo has no memory shortage.

So that's something to think about until you can put in more RAM.

Also, some games such as Age of Empires 3 (for Windows) simply won't run right with out a dedicated video card.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Cannot get Macbook Pro to install windows | awesome application »