New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Sharing a h/d osx and xp

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Cam

Cam is an unknown at this point

I'm running osx and xp on my mac pro very successfully so far. It would be great for me to have a hard disk shared bewtween the two os's though, by that I mean not one physical hard disk with two partitions, but one hard disk that both os's can read and write to. I want to use NTFS for windows, but mac osx can only read this, and if I were to use FAT 32 instead I'm limited to only 32gb partitions (please correct me If im wrong there, but im sure thats right). Is there a format that both os's can read and write? I reckon with osx being able to read ntfs it must be a very small step for it to be able to write it - is there a hack to make this possible?

Hope someone can help me out, and sorry if this has been posted before but I couldn't find anything when I searched the site!
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

You are only limited to 32GB if you use windows XP or 2000 to create the partition. OS X can create much larger FAT32 partitions. It seems to be an arbitrary limitation microsoft introduced to get people to move over to NTFS.

So my advice would be create the XP partition with FAT32. That way you can access all your windows files from your mac.

If you want windows to be able to access your mac's HFS+ partition, check out Macdrive from mediafour.
QUOTE Thanks
Cam

Cam is an unknown at this point

Are you sure there? I'm sure when creating the windows partition in mac osx with bootcamp it was only alowing me up to 32gb, or is that something different? Sorry I'm not at a mac at the mo!
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

It will only allow you to repartition the amount of free space left+ 5GB of additional room for OS X. So if you have 50GB free, you can assign a maximum of 45GB to windows.

But otherwise there aren't any limitations.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Installing Guest OS in Parallels | OS 9 and network drives »