New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Can you get viruses on Parallels?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

markw10

markw10 is an unknown at this point

I know I have heard that with Boot camp you can of course get Windows Viruses but with Parallels since it's virtualization you can't. This sounds too good to be true but is it true you can't get Windows viruses on Parallels? What about spyware, etc? For example should I still use spyware checkers, virus checkers, a firewall, etc all on Parallels?
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Parallels merely enables you to run a separate OS on top of OS X.

So whilst you're in that environment, you're susceptible to all of Windows' shortcomings.

So, yes you still need to run virus/spyware/trojan scanners.

Since Parallels uses your macs connection to connect to the internet you should be covered by OS X's firewall, so I don't think you really need a separate windows firewall.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by markw10 View Post
I know I have heard that with Boot camp you can of course get Windows Viruses but with Parallels since it's virtualization you can't. This sounds too good to be true ...
That sounds too good to be true because it isn't. Windows will always be susceptable to Windows viruses. It makes no difference if it is running natively or under emulation in OS X. Whoever told you that you can't get viruses in Windows running under Parallels is just plain wrong. :black:

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
markw10

markw10 is an unknown at this point

I figured that was too good to be true. Let's say I do get a virus though on the Windows side and it wipes out a lot of files, etc. Whatever damage the virus does is that limited to my Windows side meaning it would potentially wipe out my files, data, etc. on the Windows side but not affect anything on the Mac OS side or can it basically affect the whole computer? I think the key either way is anything you can run on the Mac OS X side do it, don't use Windows software unless you have to. My MBP just arrived an hour ago so I'm going to be working on that now.
QUOTE Thanks
captclose

captclose will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by markw10 View Post
I figured that was too good to be true. Let's say I do get a virus though on the Windows side and it wipes out a lot of files, etc. Whatever damage the virus does is that limited to my Windows side meaning it would potentially wipe out my files, data, etc. on the Windows side but not affect anything on the Mac OS side or can it basically affect the whole computer? I think the key either way is anything you can run on the Mac OS X side do it, don't use Windows software unless you have to. My MBP just arrived an hour ago so I'm going to be working on that now.
Windows viruses will ONLY affect your Windows partition and have NO affect on your Mac OS or files. However, you still need to be concerned with spreading viruses to other PC's. Your best bet is to run AV software on all your Windows machines including your virtual machines.

MacBook 2.0Ghz - 2Gig RAM - 60GB HD / 4GB iPod Nano
Recent Windows Convert
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Icorrect keyboard using parallels | bootcamp won't recognise xp sp2 cd »