New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

How to best handle data with Parallels

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

markw10

markw10 is an unknown at this point

Well I get my first Mac on Tuesday, a C2D MBP. I'll be selling my IBM thinkpad as I convert from Windows to Mac. Yet there are some Windows programs I'll use for quite some time so I know I want to run Windows XP also. I had originally planned on running BootCamp but I play few games (except for maybe Flight Simulator X which I can install on my Windows Desktop) but really everything else is stuff like health software, coin database software, Garmin GPS software, and niche small programs like that. I heard in the past that Parallels was incompatible with some hardware such as some programs won't work with USB ports, etc. but I have heard most of this will be solved by the end of the year.
Either way I came to the conclusion since I don't have to reboot and can run Windows side by side with Mac it's the way to go and seems most Mac users make this choice. What I want to do is ask how should I best handle data? At home I mostly access data on my main desktop where I have a lot of hard drive space whether it's videos, music, movies, office files, etc. This isn't a problem at all and I think with Parallels I know how to access it both from Windows and Mac. On my current laptop I have a 2nd partition on the hard drive where I store data and I sync this fairly often so that when I'm on the go on vacation, meetings, etc. I have my data with me.
How is the best way to handle that with Parallels? I know that with Parallels it essentially creates something like a virtual hard drive as the Windows part of the Mac. Should I store my data files in that virtual hard drive or simply in a folder on the Mac side. Obviously what's important is that I can access the data as well as write to and modify it from both Windows and Mac. Is it even simpler to simply place that data in a complete separate partition on the hard drive to access from both Windows and Mac and if so what format would I use to format the hard drive? Thanks in advance for help.
QUOTE Thanks
Danny_Liu

Keep your files Wintel,the Mac OS can recognize anything,try accessing a Mac file from an PC and you will have a lot of problems,I forget the name of the program that these use on PC's and Mac's that allows you to run both.
QUOTE Thanks
jc1350

jc1350 will become famous soon enough

In the Windows VM I installed the Parallels tools so I have full functionality. I THINK, but am not sure, it is required for this:

In the config for the VM you can create shares and have them mount to specific directories. I have 2: 1 that goes to the root of my user's directory and another that mounts at the photos directory. I then mounted them as shared drives in Windows to M: and P: (mounting them to drive letters is not necessary but helps with some programs. This allows me to open/save any file I want both for both Windows and Mac. I've had no problems with it at all so far (been using Parallels since July). This saves me from having to maintain 2 copies of data files.
QUOTE Thanks
ircoha

I have the std apple keyboard and am using windows based dreamweaver in a parallels created partition
I cannot find the # key It is invoked in Mac mode by alt and 3

Any thoughts please?
Thanks

found it is as a normal win keyboard
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Cube Desktop Switcher for Single User | Can my mac run os 9? »