New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

mac os 9

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Aaronjr

Aaronjr is on a distinguished road

Hey guys and gals I got a problem my mac g4 466 is acting crazy...When I turned it on all I get is this folder with a question mark in it that blinks back and fourth to the face icon can anyone help me with this problem? :blind: ...
QUOTE Thanks
sursuciofla

Do Appe Hardware Test. You can download it some places. Not sure where but have you restarted often? After I waited a while on a Powermac at school it finally booted up.
QUOTE Thanks
Aaronjr

Aaronjr is on a distinguished road

yea I rebooted about 2 or 3 times but nothing...
QUOTE Thanks
marleymon

marleymon is on a distinguished road

aaron- I think it has something to do with the start-up disk.

you'll need to boot from a cd (hold down c-during reboot).
what cd? Maybe a software restore? What do you have?

then go into the start up disk - and see what it's showing.

really- just get tiger/panther- it'll be like a new mac again...

dual 450's G4- 17" studio
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

I believe that your system file is corrupted. Your system is trying to boot, but it fails. That is why you are getting the happy face and the question mark. You will need your bootable OS 9 media, so that you can load a fresh system file.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

The flashing ? means the system folder can not be found. Use a boot cd to start up, if the hard drive is not on the screen, its crashed. If its there go into the control panel folder ,start up disk,and rebless the hard drive. If you still have problems reinstall the OS. or use nortons disk doctor.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Netscape install | Bootcamp and XP SP2 CD »