New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Partion Difficulty

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

garellano

Hi all, I am a new MAC user, been using a new intel mac for about 4 or 5 months now and loving it. I have to use a special windows program, and so i tried to install windows xp with bootcamp assistant. First, I couldn't get bootcamp to run, finally figured out it was the firmware, and got past that. Next, i was told that the partion couldn't be made because there was an error in the drive, got that fixed by running my OS disk and repairing the drive. Now, bootcamp is saying that I still can't create a partition, the exact messege is "Your disk cannot be partitioned because some files cannot be moved. Back up the disk and use Disk Utility to format the disk as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume. Restore your information to the disk and try using Boot Camp Assistant again." I find this confusing, because when i run the disk utility it says that my drive is both extended and journaled... any suggestions? I'm out of ideas and patience! Thanks to anyone who is willing to help me figure this out...
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by garellano
Hi all, I am a new MAC user, been using a new intel mac for about 4 or 5 months now and loving it. I have to use a special windows program, and so i tried to install windows xp with bootcamp assistant. First, I couldn't get bootcamp to run, finally figured out it was the firmware, and got past that. Next, i was told that the partion couldn't be made because there was an error in the drive, got that fixed by running my OS disk and repairing the drive. Now, bootcamp is saying that I still can't create a partition, the exact messege is "Your disk cannot be partitioned because some files cannot be moved. Back up the disk and use Disk Utility to format the disk as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume. Restore your information to the disk and try using Boot Camp Assistant again." I find this confusing, because when i run the disk utility it says that my drive is both extended and journaled... any suggestions? I'm out of ideas and patience! Thanks to anyone who is willing to help me figure this out...
G'day garellano and welcome to M-F.

Have you recently downloaded Parallels by any chance? I'm asking because this could be the culprit. Have a look in your Home Folder>Library for a folder named Parallels and delete it and try the Boot Camp thing again.
QUOTE Thanks
garellano

Thank you for responding! I looked to see if there was any Parallels software, and it doesn't look like it, and as fas as I know, I have not downloaded any such software (for partionitioning or anything like that)....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulse-8
G'day garellano and welcome to M-F.

Have you recently downloaded Parallels by any chance? I'm asking because this could be the culprit. Have a look in your Home Folder>Library for a folder named Parallels and delete it and try the Boot Camp thing again.
QUOTE Thanks
garellano

I decided to actually try parallels and that worked great, i now can use windows on a virtual desktop on my mac, the only thing i have now is that i can't seem to make the internet connection work... any ideas on this?

Quote:
Thank you for responding! I looked to see if there was any Parallels software, and it doesn't look like it, and as fas as I know, I have not downloaded any such software (for partionitioning or anything like that)....
QUOTE Thanks
garellano

I figured it all out, thanks for the help!
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

Quote:
I figured it all out, thanks for the help!
S'okay...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Will Classic OS 9 run on a Mac Pro?? | Windows Volume Icon »