Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    garellano
    Guest
    Partion Difficulty
    Hi all, I am a new MAC user, been using a new intel mac for about 4 or 5 months now and loving it. I have to use a special windows program, and so i tried to install windows xp with bootcamp assistant. First, I couldn't get bootcamp to run, finally figured out it was the firmware, and got past that. Next, i was told that the partion couldn't be made because there was an error in the drive, got that fixed by running my OS disk and repairing the drive. Now, bootcamp is saying that I still can't create a partition, the exact messege is "Your disk cannot be partitioned because some files cannot be moved. Back up the disk and use Disk Utility to format the disk as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume. Restore your information to the disk and try using Boot Camp Assistant again." I find this confusing, because when i run the disk utility it says that my drive is both extended and journaled... any suggestions? I'm out of ideas and patience! Thanks to anyone who is willing to help me figure this out...

  2. #2


    Member Since
    Oct 27, 2005
    Posts
    4,702
    Quote Originally Posted by garellano
    Hi all, I am a new MAC user, been using a new intel mac for about 4 or 5 months now and loving it. I have to use a special windows program, and so i tried to install windows xp with bootcamp assistant. First, I couldn't get bootcamp to run, finally figured out it was the firmware, and got past that. Next, i was told that the partion couldn't be made because there was an error in the drive, got that fixed by running my OS disk and repairing the drive. Now, bootcamp is saying that I still can't create a partition, the exact messege is "Your disk cannot be partitioned because some files cannot be moved. Back up the disk and use Disk Utility to format the disk as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume. Restore your information to the disk and try using Boot Camp Assistant again." I find this confusing, because when i run the disk utility it says that my drive is both extended and journaled... any suggestions? I'm out of ideas and patience! Thanks to anyone who is willing to help me figure this out...
    G'day garellano and welcome to M-F.

    Have you recently downloaded Parallels by any chance? I'm asking because this could be the culprit. Have a look in your Home Folder>Library for a folder named Parallels and delete it and try the Boot Camp thing again.

  3. #3
    garellano
    Guest
    Thank you for responding! I looked to see if there was any Parallels software, and it doesn't look like it, and as fas as I know, I have not downloaded any such software (for partionitioning or anything like that)....

    Quote Originally Posted by Pulse-8
    G'day garellano and welcome to M-F.

    Have you recently downloaded Parallels by any chance? I'm asking because this could be the culprit. Have a look in your Home Folder>Library for a folder named Parallels and delete it and try the Boot Camp thing again.

  4. #4
    garellano
    Guest
    I decided to actually try parallels and that worked great, i now can use windows on a virtual desktop on my mac, the only thing i have now is that i can't seem to make the internet connection work... any ideas on this?


    Quote Originally Posted by garellano
    Thank you for responding! I looked to see if there was any Parallels software, and it doesn't look like it, and as fas as I know, I have not downloaded any such software (for partionitioning or anything like that)....

  5. #5
    garellano
    Guest
    I figured it all out, thanks for the help!

  6. #6


    Member Since
    Oct 27, 2005
    Posts
    4,702
    Quote Originally Posted by garellano
    I figured it all out, thanks for the help!
    S'okay...

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Making Bootcamp partion into a part of the OSX partion
    By Demco in forum Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-02-2012, 02:37 PM
  2. Partion Problems
    By Tofuik in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-11-2012, 10:33 PM
  3. Mac to Pc Partion
    By adam17009 in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-01-2009, 11:44 AM
  4. another NTFS partion question ( not what you think)
    By rdsii64 in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-06-2008, 01:29 PM
  5. Partion decrease
    By Hustle in forum Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-29-2007, 03:48 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •