New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Formatting my XP laptop with no XP CD

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Liam

Liam has a spectacular aura about

I've done a format millions of times, but the laptop I got came pre-installed with XP, so how do I format it?

Basically I want rid of everything - a complete fresh install as I'm selling the laptop.

Any help appreciated.

Liam
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam
I've done a format millions of times, but the laptop I got came pre-installed with XP, so how do I format it?

Basically I want rid of everything - a complete fresh install as I'm selling the laptop.

Any help appreciated.

Liam
If you go to My Computer and right-click on any drive there, wouldn't you just click the Format option?

I just checked this on my PC and as I haven't ever done this myself I don't really know it's just an educated guess....
QUOTE Thanks
rcltrh

rcltrh will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook Air, 20" iMac 2.17 Ghz 1GB

You laptop should have come with a restore CD that will return it to factory state, or else it has a hidden partition that will do the same. Some HP's you press the F12 key down during bootup and it lauches the restore function to wipe and restore it to factory. What brand laptop?
QUOTE Thanks
karudzo

karudzo has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM

Boot up with a live Linux CD, such as Knoppix and then format it via that. Of course, be sure to choose the appropriate file system that you want on it, likely NTFS for Windows, XFS is the best in my opinion for Linux.
QUOTE Thanks
Liam

Liam has a spectacular aura about

It's an LG Laptop. I don't think there is any recovery discs? Unfortunately I can't go banging around trying to find a recovery disc as it's late! but the XP install must definetly be on a seperate partition I think as it only shows my C on the laptop...
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Do you have a Windows XP CD? If so, put it in the drive and boot. When you get to the install part there will be a option to format the drive or leave it alone. Choose Format NTFS.
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7
Do you have a Windows XP CD? If so, put it in the drive and boot. When you get to the install part there will be a option to format the drive or leave it alone. Choose Format NTFS.
The OP doesn't have the CD....
QUOTE Thanks
rcltrh

rcltrh will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook Air, 20" iMac 2.17 Ghz 1GB

I browsed around on the net and it seems that LG laptops all had a restore CD with them when new that must be used to return to factory condition. Bummer you don't have it. About the only thing to do is either fdisk/format it using an XP cd (or other Windows OS such as 2K, ME, 98, etc) or else just clean it up by removing all user accounts except the Owner account, trashing all My documents files, cleaning out the history, cookies, temp folders (hidden in the Documents and Settings folder in the Local files folder), remove Outlook email accounts, uninstall software you don't want to send with the computer. etc. You can download free cleanout programs from Tucows.com or similar that will do all this and zap your passwords and sensitive info.
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

companies have began to install your recovery disk as a partition on your HD and you must restore from there. check your users manual or your manufactureres website
-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
dan828

dan828 is a jewel in the roughdan828 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iPad 32 GB 3G

Brush up on your DOS skills!

http://www.freedos.org/freedos/files/

you can download an ISO image there and make a bootable DOS CD. Then just "fdisk"

Ah....brings back memories, doesn't it?

Or you could download the Windows Vista RC1 image and use that to format-- just start the install and format the HD, then just shut it down before it continues.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvist...y/preview.mspx

DVD image only though.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« A good disk copy util for OS 7.5.5? | Will Classic OS 9 run on a Mac Pro?? »