New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Ethernet Won't Work/No Internet Connection in XP Pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

GoldenRedux

GoldenRedux is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.66GHz; 6GB RAM (4x512/4x1GB), 1.5TB HD (3xHDDs), ATI XT1900, built-in Bluetooth/Airport

I just installed XP Pro/SP2 on my Mac Pro and I cannot get the ethernet to work I connect to the internet through an on all the time broadband cable modem attached to an Airport Extreme, which the Mac Pro is plugged into directly via ethernet. Windows is showing 'network adapter unplugged' for both ethernet ports.

I tried to disable them and then enable them again, but that doesn't work What could the problem be? Without the internet, I can't activate Windows and download all the security patches and so on.
QUOTE Thanks
GoldenRedux

Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.66GHz; 6GB RAM (4x512/4x1GB), 1.5TB HD (3xHDDs), ATI XT1900, built-in Bluetooth/Airport

I still have not been able to get the ethernet ports to work in XP Pro.
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenRedux
I still have not been able to get the ethernet ports to work in XP Pro.
Just a long shot but try this:

Under the Network Adapter settings change the selection box under "Bridged Ethernet" from en0 to en1.
QUOTE Thanks
GoldenRedux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulse-8

Under the Network Adapter settings change the selection box under "Bridged Ethernet" from en0 to en1.

Thanks. I'll give it a try later today and see what happens.
QUOTE Thanks
GoldenRedux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulse-8

I tried to do this, but I could not find the setting you are referring to in Windows. Where exactly should I be looking?
QUOTE Thanks
Hulk_SMASH

I've got my mini connected to my PC via a Cat5 crossover cable and running its' own network between the two machines while the internet is running off of the built-in airport. Is this what you're trying to achieve or are you just running your ethernet-out to an airport router? If it's the latter, you'll probably need to configure the wireless networking for Windows (manually through controll panel or via wizard to get it set up properly). The reason it's saying network connection unplugged is because it cannot find an ip address through dhcp because it doesn't know to check wirelessly. Make sure you go to your device manager and that the drivers are set up correctly (you did make a driver disc before installing bootcamp, right?)
QUOTE Thanks
GoldenRedux

Okay, boneheaded move of the day - the reason it was saying adapter unplugged is because it was unplugged, sort of. When i connected all of the cable to the Mac Pro, I apparently followed the wrong ethernet cable and had the cable from an old Gateway in another room plugged into the ethernet pot, and not the one that was coming from the Airport. Duh. Sorry for that one folks. Now the ethernet is working fine, however, XP still cannot find my wireless network, which is not really a problem. I don't need wireless in Windows.

I was able to connect to my cable connection over the ethernet cable plugged directly into an Airport and download all the updates.
QUOTE Thanks
Mathiau

Mathiau is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook Black 2ghz / 2g / 160g72k | Ipod nano black 4G

do you have broadcasting turned on in your wireless router?

have you tried to manually add the wireless network ?
QUOTE Thanks
GoldenRedux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathiau
do you have broadcasting turned on in your wireless router?
Broadcasting? I'm using an Airport Extreme, but I don't recall seeing that option.

Quote:
have you tried to manually add the wireless network ?
Yes, but it still doesn't find it. I put the name in directly and the password, but it just keeps saying it can't find any wireless networks.
QUOTE Thanks
Pamich

You did install the mac drivers, right?
QUOTE Thanks
GoldenRedux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamich
You did install the mac drivers, right?

Yes, sir. I installed them and still nothing. I even reinstalled them, but to no avail.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« upgarde when vista releases | Possible upgrade??? »