New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

bootcamp on seperate hd??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mr g5

mr g5 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM

Ok i updated my firmware to fix the slow hd speed with windows xp. I installed a second hd in my mac. OS X detects it but bootcamp says I can only install windows on the booted hd (macintosh HD). How do I put it on a seperate hd?

thanks
robert

Join the Mac-forums folding team By Clicking Here
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

xp on external

Boot camp

Run Windows for a USB HDD?

Apple's offical take on the subject

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
mr g5

I'm not trying to use an external hd. I have a seperate internal SATA drive. I though bootcamp supported that?

QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr g5
I'm not trying to use an external hd. I have a seperate internal SATA drive. I though bootcamp supported that?
It might not be external, but it is a second HD and it is still the same principle.
:black:
Even from the official Apple link:
Quote:
It requires an Intel-based Mac with a single partition, Mac OS X 10.4.6 or later, and the latest available firmware.
:black:

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
mr g5

So I cant use this hard drive for windows xp?

QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Nope, has to be on the system drive

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
mr g5

anyone else?

QUOTE Thanks
mr g5

can someone else comment before I go ahead with this?

QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

I don't see why you are looking for other comments, its a pretty definitive answer. You can only install XP via bootcamp on a single partitioned machine

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
mr g5

Do you think the next bootcamp wil support this? Also Can I share files between the two os's? like word documents?

QUOTE Thanks
mr g5

Just for future reference, boot camp 1.1.1 can install xp on a seperate interenal hard drive. I am currently running it on a seperate drive now and it works perfect.

The people from http://discussions.apple.com/ helped me, so If you have any questions go to that forum.

QUOTE Thanks
ah1802

ah1802 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2Ghz

so do you reckon this will work on an external hard drive?
QUOTE Thanks
spaceage tech

spaceage tech is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MBP 1.83ghz/1.5gb RAM/ Superdrive/ 1 TERAbyte of storage on firewire and a 22" Viewsonic LCD

You know let me breathe some new life into this discussion.

I've got the MBP w/ an 80gb hdd. I can only spare 10gbs for xp and im out of space at that. I've got an external 2.5 drive that I'd LOVE to use as an xp drive.

I think what the OP was eluding to when he asked for more comments was that the Mac community is infamous for wanting to do something and pulling together and getting a solution out to the masses. Telling him that "its a definative answer" and trying to close it is ... I don't know.. rude I guess, especially when there are other people in the same thread saying otherwise. I'm sorry if this forum doesn't have the answer, but that doesnt mean that others don't.

As for my own research, AH, I'd say yes... its possible, but you'll have to work at it. Read the links above and see what happens. I would assume that yes, eventually Apple will see thelight and give users the option to boot from an external drive. Apple has been famous for that ability for years with the powerbooks and such. Just remember that Google is your friend. Don't let people tell you something isn't possible.

Look at the MBP's and the heat issue. People here have been saying since their intro that there was no solution, but I found one on another forum and postedit here!

Good luck,
J
QUOTE Thanks
mr g5

i'm not sure if you can, I do know that if you did it would be a "work around". In my case apple supported it but I did not know how to do it. There are many threads about this on seperate forums. go to google.com and type "boot camp on external drive".

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« time problems! | should I jump the boat? »