New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Problems getting windows running correctly on my imac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

neil_a

Hi all

Can anyone help?

Intel Imac,10.4.7,latest firmware.

Have followed instructions from boot camp to load windows, partitioned 30 gig's and continued.Entered my product key, chose FAT32 and partition C and continued.Eventually I was presented with a window asking if I wanted to change the resolution of windows and tried to click OK, the mouse was working fine but wouldnt activate the OK tab. Windows continued on after 30 seconds. It finally booted up to show a lo res Windows desktop. I inserted my OS X drivers CD and waited ,nothing happened.Now, I dont know much about Windows but I do know that if you click START option it will ask you if you want to Turn off this computer.I couldnt get this to appear.Gave up and booted in OS X and erased the Windows partition in Boot camp,tried it all again,same results.

After some internet checks a site told me that in some cases, the Windows installer may incorrectly consider an erased volume with staleNTFS/FAT32 data as a valid file system,to fix the problem, erase the Windows partition in Disk Utillity and choose zero out data from the security options in the erase window, got this far but when I highlighted the No Name(Windows) partition it wouldnt allow me to choose any security options (geyed out) also the Volume format was greyed out.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong and cant see it,not sure. Any help on this matter would be gratefully recieved.Getting a bit frustrated.

Neil
QUOTE Thanks
htdefiant

htdefiant is on a distinguished road

If you chose a 30 gig partition you should probably be using NTFS or NTFS Quick partitioning.

Windows on the Mac - Forums and free support for Boot Camp, Parallels, and VMWare.
QUOTE Thanks
neil_a

Quote:
Originally Posted by htdefiant
If you chose a 30 gig partition you should probably be using NTFS or NTFS Quick partitioning.
Thanks, have tried that and it makes no difference.Do you think it would help if i wiped the hard drive completely and reloaded OS X and tried to load Windows again?
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil_a
Thanks, have tried that and it makes no difference.Do you think it would help if i wiped the hard drive completely and reloaded OS X
That would probably be best, in my opinion.
Quote:
and tried to load Windows again?
I would first ask and evaluate what you need Windows for, before you try to install it again.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
neil_a

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y
That would probably be best, in my opinion.
I would first ask and evaluate what you need Windows for, before you try to install it again.
Thanks,I'm gonna go ahead and wipe the drive and start from scratch, I wouldnt normally care much for windows except my daughter is starting to use windows at school and figure it would be helpful and give her a level of continuity to load it up.
QUOTE Thanks
Kyomii

Kyomii will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacMini DC 1.66, Powerbook G4

Are you using a Windows disc that has SP2 slipstreamed into it? This is important, and is your problem if you are not, especially since your graphics and volume are affected.

Also, as FAT32 formatting limit for Windows XP is 32GB, I would highly recomment that you choose NTFS (not quick format)

Fondest regards, Kyomii

My Snapshots
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MAC os9 Remote Desktop connection | Mac & Windows »