New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

After Re-installing OS comp loads slightly slower

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

precisionelite

precisionelite is on a distinguished road

After erasing bootcamp I decided to reinstall the mac osx because I got a solid question mark when I was loading up. The reinstall was completley succesful and maybe it's just me, but it seems the computer loads up slightly slower. What i mean is: When OSX is loading and under the apple you see the circle loading thing. the little thing that circles seems like it takes more revolutions for the osx to load than before. Sorry if this is confusing.
QUOTE Thanks
jdgti

jdgti will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" Macbook Pro Unibody 2.66 Ghz and Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz 2.0GB RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by precisionelite
After erasing bootcamp I decided to reinstall the mac osx because I got a solid question mark when I was loading up. The reinstall was completley succesful and maybe it's just me, but it seems the computer loads up slightly slower. What i mean is: When OSX is loading and under the apple you see the circle loading thing. the little thing that circles seems like it takes more revolutions for the osx to load than before. Sorry if this is confusing.
I have that exact same problem. I was curious about that too. Nice to know I am not alone here. Sorry I can't help.
QUOTE Thanks
htdefiant

htdefiant is on a distinguished road

I think anytime you have to reinstall the default OS, it may be slower.

Windows on the Mac - Forums and free support for Boot Camp, Parallels, and VMWare.
QUOTE Thanks
astewart

Quote:
Originally Posted by htdefiant
I think anytime you have to reinstall the default OS, it may be slower.

Ahh, that is incorrect sir. Usually doing a Fresh install of the OS usually cleans things up....Otherwise if you had to Reinstall the OS more then once, it would just get slower and slower...

You can try Zap the PRAM to see if that makes a Difference.
QUOTE Thanks
precisionelite

Zap the PRAM? how do i do that?
Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
astewart

Quote:
Originally Posted by precisionelite
Zap the PRAM? how do i do that?
Thanks!
Well, It might be even better if you try Repairing Permissions first, which is done through the Disk Utility App.
Another Good Utility to look into is Onyx.

If that doesn't speed things up, just restart your computer and upon Booting up (After the Chimes) hold down Command-Option-P-R keys and let it go through 3 Start-up Chimes before releasing the Keys.
Thats how you Zap the Pram.
QUOTE Thanks
precisionelite

I repaired the permissions and zapped the PRAM and that didn't do it. I'm not really that concerned, just seems sorta strange is all. Anything else I could try?
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

First off, reinstalling your OS is always a last-ditch option to fixing something in Mac OS. There are always alternatives that will correct any situation you may run into without the need for a reinstallation. Even Apple agrees:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple
...save reinstallation for your last option.
Source: Apple Support Article
The "clean install" trash and burn technique of fixing problems is more of a Windows "solution" to things. This ain't Windows. :black:

As far as your computer running slower, I would think that is merely your own perception. I can't think of any logical reason as to why it would be running at any different speed. Counting revolutions of the startup wheel or counting 'bounces' in the Dock of a launching application are NOT credible or valuable measures for calculating anything.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
precisionelite

Thanks guys, i'm a switcher hehehe. I have a problem now man. Last night I shut my computer down and then turned it back on. When it turned on i had all these vertical lines appear on my screen. The longer I wait the more lines there are, like pink,yellow,red, it's weird i tell ya. I had to flash the ram to get it to load right. Works fine now though, I wonder what caused that.
QUOTE Thanks
sursuciofla

Yeah I remeber when I first switched to high speed internet...I was like WHOA!!!!! Then months later I was lie, this seems slower. I guess once you get used to something your perception changes. It just ends up feeling like normal but doesn't give you same feeling when it was new.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Stupid question, I know.. but.. :( | How to Remove Winodows XP »