New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

XP on MacbookPro - no multi screen... ATI Radeon not working??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Design Agent

Design Agent is on a distinguished road

Hi eveyone,

I just installed Windows XP onto my MacbookPro. Everything went fine except that now I can't extend the monitor. (I need this because I do live video mix performance aka "VJing"). Do you think it's because I messed up the driver for ATI Radeon X1600? Any suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Thanks!! :miner:
QUOTE Thanks
Logan

1) Are you using Bootcamp?
2) If yes, did you use the bootcamp Mac Driver Disc to install drivers for your MacBook Pro?
3) Did you install ATI drivers from their website after the Mac Drive Disc?
QUOTE Thanks
Design Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan
1) Are you using Bootcamp?
2) If yes, did you use the bootcamp Mac Driver Disc to install drivers for your MacBook Pro?
3) Did you install ATI drivers from their website after the Mac Drive Disc?
Yes, I went to ATI site and installed the driver, but it still doesn;t work.

Design Agent
QUOTE Thanks
Logan

So did you try it prior to installing ATI driver support (with just Mac Drivers installed) ?

Remember that there may be specially crafted hardware in your Radeon X1600 for macs, so as funny as this sounds: Running XP on an ATI Radeon 1600 vid card via mac hardware may require different instructions to control than an Windows XP machine with an ATI Radeon 1600 vid card via PC. If this is true, downloading the drivers for WinXP via ATI's website may have made it confused on how to send instructions to the second video out port. You may have success using the drivers provided on the mac disc.

But don't take the above was written in stone, it's entirely theoretical until someone else can support that my guess is accurate in the situation.
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

I have the Boot Camp 1.1 drivers installed, dual monitors works fine for me. I would try those drivers.
QUOTE Thanks
Design Agent

After re-installing XP and drivers from the CD I finally got it worked, BUT.... now the extended monitor is in black/white and totally jagged...

mynameis, could you please let me know exactly where you downloaded the driver? (I know the problem is not the adapter, because I tested it in other machine and works fine.)

many thanks!

Design Agent
QUOTE Thanks
htdefiant

htdefiant is on a distinguished road

Have you tried Boot Camp 1.1.1 yet?

Windows on the Mac - Forums and free support for Boot Camp, Parallels, and VMWare.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Installing Vista RC1 on MacBook Pro | System time problem with BC 1.1 »