New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Questions about mac/ windows

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gaara

I'm planning on getting a mac book pro but i have a few questions about it. I have never really used Mac OS before so I'm not very familiar with it.

I understand that I can run WinXP after installign boot camp, but can I run Windows Vista once it comes out?
Can files that I have in OS X be used in Windows and vice-versa?
What is the Mac equivalent of microsoft office?
I have other questions but I cannot think of them right now.
your help is appreciated
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

Just about all the answers to your questions can be found within the Mac-Forums website.

A bit of searching around would uncover the relevant info.

Re: Vista running on Macs via Boot Camp....no can do and I think all you would get on that one regarding your question is speculation but that's my opinion.

There is also Parallels which is pay for, and runs Windows XP SP2 from a window on the desktop, so no rebooting back and forth. Once again it's probably too early to do anything other than speculate whether Vista will run on either at the moment.
QUOTE Thanks
dohidied

dohidied is a jewel in the roughdohidied is a jewel in the roughdohidied is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaara
I'm planning on getting a mac book pro but i have a few questions about it. I have never really used Mac OS before so I'm not very familiar with it.

I understand that I can run WinXP after installign boot camp, but can I run Windows Vista once it comes out?
Can files that I have in OS X be used in Windows and vice-versa?
What is the Mac equivalent of microsoft office?
I have other questions but I cannot think of them right now.
your help is appreciated
People are already using Boot Camp to run the Vista Beta, so the final release will work just fine.

Files can be transferred between OS X and Windows as long as there's a program to open them. There needs to be a similar program on both sides.

The Mac equivalent of Microsoft Office is Microsoft Office. Microsoft's been making office software for the Mac since the 80s. Also, Apple makes a suite called iWork, but it only contains a word processor and a presentation application.
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by dohidied
People are already using Boot Camp to run the Vista Beta, so the final release will work just fine.
I thought that Vista wouldn't run on EFI firmware at the moment...but I stand corrected.

Quote:
The Mac equivalent of Microsoft Office is Microsoft Office.
lol.... :dive:
QUOTE Thanks
dohidied

dohidied is a jewel in the roughdohidied is a jewel in the roughdohidied is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulse-8
I thought that Vista wouldn't run on EFI firmware at the moment...but I stand corrected.

XP doesn't run on EFI either. Boot Camp emulates a BIOS.
QUOTE Thanks
gaara

Quote:
Originally Posted by dohidied
The Mac equivalent of Microsoft Office is Microsoft Office. Microsoft's been making office software for the Mac since the 80s. Also, Apple makes a suite called iWork, but it only contains a word processor and a presentation application.
Heh, you have to excuse my newishness, I don't know much about OS X, but I indend to learn when I get my MBP.
So do macs come with microsoft office already installed? Also, is iwork as good a word processor/presentation program? I don't reallt care that iwork is only a word prcessor and a presentation, powerpoint and word are the only two things I use anyway.
QUOTE Thanks
dohidied

Quote:
Heh, you have to excuse my newishness, I don't know much about OS X, but I indend to learn when I get my MBP.
So do macs come with microsoft office already installed? Also, is iwork as good a word processor/presentation program? I don't reallt care that iwork is only a word prcessor and a presentation, powerpoint and word are the only two things I use anyway.
Don't worry, we were all new to this at some point. A 30-day trial of Office and iWork come pre-installed on Macs. You can purchase it from numerous retailers, including Apple and Microsoft. There's even a Student and Teacher version for $150 (it has a $50 rebate right now). I've never used iWork, but I hear it's very good, and in some ways better than Office. I'm not sure how cross-compatible it is with Office though.
QUOTE Thanks
gaara

Ah, ok, on the mac store website having iwork preinstalled is only about $60 or so so I might end up getting that when I order it.
QUOTE Thanks
dohidied

Quote:
Ah, ok, on the mac store website having iwork preinstalled is only about $60 or so so I might end up getting that when I order it.
They give you the same price whether you buy it pre-installed or buy the boxed retail version. If I were you I would just try it for free for 30 days and then if you like it buy it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Darwine and DOS applications | A non-mac XP Installation question »