New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Printing on a shared windows printer....

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

macmania

Hi all,
:p

i am trying to acheive what is aparently a relativly easy task to complete.

I have a windows XP Home laptop with a printer connected to it. I have this printer shared and file and printer sharing is enabled on the laptop.

I have recently bought myself a Macbook(man im love!) and i want to be able to print from my macbook using the shared windows printer. I dont want to connect this printer directly to my mac(for reasons i dont need to go into) it has to be done via the shared windows laptop.

I downloaded the printer driver for Mac OS 10.4 for the printer in question and installed the software.
I have also enabled Windows Sharing in the shared section of system preferences.

So on the Macbook i went to the printer setup utility in applications/utilites

I click add and at the bottom of the printer browser i click more printers. From the top drop down list i choose windows printing and from the second drop menu i choose workgroup.
From the list of available computers i choose my windows laptop, click choose and then login using the same account as on the windows OS.
I then see the shared printer that i am trying to setup. i select the printer and leave the printer model as generic(i will go into why in a moment) then i click add. Now aparently from what i read thats all i need to do. But it doesnt work. When i try to print i get a NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL message and it retrys every 60 secs.

Ok, the generic printer model part was left as generic becuase if i try and choose canon then find the model of the printer it isnt there. I thought that as i had installed the OSx driver for that canon it would be present i nthe list but i was wrong. There is a section in the printer model list where i can click other and i get prompted to locate a file. Now im guessing this is the driver file for the printer driver i installed. But where is it?

I am guessing this is my problem but as i am new to the mc experience i thought id ask for some advice.

I look forward to heasring your responses :doctor:

Macmania
QUOTE Thanks
Logan

Name of Printer?
QUOTE Thanks
macmania

canon 4200
QUOTE Thanks
fliP

One thing to check as I had this problem: Make sure the name of the windows shared printer is less than 13 characters. I tried absolutely everything but could not print before because of a stupid printer name.
QUOTE Thanks
s.sahawneh

s.sahawneh is on a distinguished road

i'm having a similar problem.

i have a windows network with an hp laserjet 1100 connected. I successully added the printer, but when I give a print command, it says completed on my macbook, but on the server, it says error printing. i've installed the gutenprint, so there's no problem there.
QUOTE Thanks
czzchen

czzchen is on a distinguished road

it's simple, leopard print to a vista shared printer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hey guys, to everyone who struggling print to a vista shared printer from you leopard, here is a link after a serious digging out.

http://rareexample.ca/2008/03/26/pri...vista-printer/

thanks to the anonymous contributor. anyway, this is the best 100% working method.

but one thing I did learn today, a network printer is different to a shared printer. **** this, if you google, google for a vista shared printer. then you're half way done. (a network printer refers to a printer has its own IP, and can be hooked up with a wired/wireless router regardless what machine you're using on your network, correct me if I'm wrong)

cheers, mate, you will be appriciated the method list in the link, works just in 3 minutes.

at last. got it figured out. hooray!!!!!!!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
rafalovich

rafalovich is on a distinguished road

czzchen,

The link you gave goes no where
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Compressing Word Files? | Windows XP won't recognize my wireless card »