New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

What Apple Should Do To Support Windows On Mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

haimson

haimson is on a distinguished road

I just recently purchased a MacBook, and im loving it. But i want to run Windows on it. So i tried Parallels, it didnt run my games, but it did everything else well. Then i tried Boot Camp, it ran some games, but the video driver had problems, so not all games. Plus i had to reboot it every time. Then i downloaded the Crossover for Mac Beta, and it runs 1 game i really like, but others not so much. But it gets the job done perfectly.
Currently there are 3 options, non perfect, but knowing Apple, you gotta bet they have a trick up their sleeve.
The best thing for Apple to do is the following, support all 3 options, and intergrate them. Imagine, setting up Windows XP (or Vista if it comes out) through in Parallels, install everything you need, drivers, software, etc. Make an image. Then thru Boot Camp, install it on a Partition. Have a native copy, and let Parallels use that native copy as a virtual machine. So when you want to run Microsoft Outlook for work, you open Parallels. And when you want to run Far Cry shut down Parallels. Restart into Windows, and all of your changes will be saved from before.
Perfect right? Not yet. What Apple can furthur do is setup Crossover to be able to tap into the Program Files in the Windows partition, detect which applications are supported, and then run them, nativly, in Mac OS X.
That is a beautiful 3 prong Approach. That will certainly cement Mac OS X as a viable alternative to Windows, but just in case, have Windows available in "Classic Mode".

The best thing for Apple to do is to aquire these companies. Parallels and CrossOver.
There is one more company that no one seems to be mentioning, Cedega. This is a special implementation of Wine, geared towards games. Now if Apple can Aquire this company as well. And Optimize all 4 products, and combine them into 1. You have one kick Mac with Windows capabilities. Plus, after windows vista ships, XP prices will fall like crazy. Imagine Apple selling Windows XP for $30 on Apple.com.
But above all, Apple really needs to aquire Parallels, if not for the desktop, for the Server. Server virtualization on the Mac, so that you can run Mac OS X, Windows Server, Linux, Solaris, BSD, NetWare, etc. Will make Apple Server the server of choice. Elegant and usable, but still powerful when need be.

MacBook | White | 2 GHz | 1 GB | 80 GB | SuperDrive | OS X 10.4.7
QUOTE Thanks
DCraver

DCraver is a jewel in the roughDCraver is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac G5

Quick question, what games are you playing? It could be your machine specs and not Boot Camp. If I can remember correctly the Mac Book has integrated graphics, not ideal for games. I think it has 128MB Vram running in windows, however it shares processing power with the CPU making the overall performance low. Therefore, if you are trying to play CS:Source, BF2/2142, etc. it's not going to play nice, in fact I don't think BF2/2142 will run at all unless you have a supported video card with at least 256MB of V RAM.

Tell me what games you play and I'll bet it's a hardware problem.
QUOTE Thanks
haimson

The only game i tried was FIFA World Cup

QUOTE Thanks
DCraver

DCraver is a jewel in the roughDCraver is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac G5

Hmm... not familiar with that. Is it a recent game?
QUOTE Thanks
haimson

2006 soccer

QUOTE Thanks
precisionelite

precisionelite is on a distinguished road

would you be able to run the original counter-strike well?
QUOTE Thanks
Anti-Wack

All I used was Boot Camp and I can play games fine such as Half-Life 2 and Counter Strike: Source. In fact, my MBP actually runs WinXP better than my old pc. IMHO, Boot Camp does a fine job all by itself.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« WinXP wihtout SP2 install? | HDD Repartitioning help? »