New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Bootcamp + Parallels 2gether?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

BushyMark

BushyMark is on a distinguished road

Did a search on the board and couldn't find the answer!

Can you have Bootcamp AND Parallels on your mac and decide for the moment which you would like to use? Or will you have to install Windows twice and suck up all your harddrive space?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Here how it would work. You would have two licenses of windows. One that you can boo from (bootcamp) and the other running as a virtual desktop with in OS X. Both would take up some disk space.

As I have read, if you are planning to run games, then you want to be able to both windows (bootcamp). If you are doing basic windows stuff, then parallel is okay.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Parallels creates a virtual hard drive. BootCamp actually partitions your systems disk. You would need the two licenses and you would need to install the OS twice

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
dohidied

dohidied is a jewel in the roughdohidied is a jewel in the roughdohidied is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz

You need to install Windows twice, but you don't necessarily need two licenses. I installed Boot Camp and my Product Key worked fine. Then when I installed Parallels it told me that the Key was in use and to contact the call center. So I called them and told the guy that I had Windows installed on two separate partitions. He asked me if I purchased Windows from a company or if it came on my computer. I told him I purchased it and he gave me a number to activate it. I'm not sure what Microsoft's official stance is on this subject, but I know they let me activated it twice.
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpnmonkey41
Parallels creates a virtual hard drive. BootCamp actually partitions your systems disk. You would need the two licenses and you would need to install the OS twice
you sir are correct!!!!
-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Well, seeing as you can't use both copies at Windows at the same time, but they are on the same system, do you really have to buy 2 copies? I wouldn't think so...
QUOTE Thanks
cazabam

cazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD

It would seem odd if you have to buy 2 copies for use on one computer. As Aptmunich says, you can't use them at the same time, and even if you could it's the same copy on the same machine. I'm going to go for a hyperbolic stretch and say that it's like having to pay for the copy on your mirrored RAID drive :-)
QUOTE Thanks
dohidied

dohidied is a jewel in the roughdohidied is a jewel in the roughdohidied is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz

The problem with installing Windows on Boot Camp and Parallels is that Windows doesn't see it as the same machine. Since Parallels uses a virtual setup, the hardware configuration is different from what your Mac really is. So from Microsoft's point of view, it's two different computers.
QUOTE Thanks
cazabam

cazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD

From the sounds of it (and from 2nd hand experience) MS will quite happily give you the activation code over the phone if you explain your set up. Shouldn't be an issue.
QUOTE Thanks
Cam

Cam is an unknown at this point

My household has 5 PC's, all of them running the same version of XP. If I ever need to register a microsoft product you just phone them up and explain you are having to install windows 'again because your sytem crashed and you had to reinstall'. Its not a big deal, it seems the Indian call centers you get when you call are quite relaxed with handing out codes!
QUOTE Thanks
MacMania55

MacMania55 is a jewel in the roughMacMania55 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.16 ghz. 1 gb ram. 250 GB HDD. Screamer! 2gb ipod nano. 17 in powerbook G4 1.67/1 Gb/120gb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam
My household has 5 PC's, all of them running the same version of XP. If I ever need to register a microsoft product you just phone them up and explain you are having to install windows 'again because your sytem crashed and you had to reinstall'. Its not a big deal, it seems the Indian call centers you get when you call are quite relaxed with handing out codes!
Hmmm that sounds illegal! :spook:

MacMania55
QUOTE Thanks
Strider

Strider is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs

Illegal? Its their problem if they are stupid.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Need help with PC laptop and monitor | Fedora 6 test 2 on 20" iMac »