Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/running-windows-anything-else-your-mac/)
-   -   Linux login trouble (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/running-windows-anything-else-your-mac/39535-linux-login-trouble.html)

macEfan 08-10-2006 01:46 PM

Linux login trouble

I am really sick of windows, so I decided to try installing Ubuntu Linux on my old PC to see how I like it. First I ran the live CD and it seemed to run well, so I decide to install it on my hard drive, and banish windows forever. Installation is nice and easy and I had no trouble at all. I loved the fact that I didn't need to install any additional drivers.

Here's the trouble:

When i boot up I get to the log in screen. Unfortunatly, I didn't write down my user name, and I don't remember what it is. I know my password, but when I try to log in, it asked for my user name also. I am new to Linux, and I'm stuck. Does anyone have a clue how to reset a user name?

Any help would be really appreciated!

digg 08-10-2006 01:52 PM

I have also recently set-up Ubuntu.

My only thought would be to get rid of Linux and re-install it..

Sorry, It's the only thing I can think of :(

trpnmonkey41 08-10-2006 01:54 PM

during the install you create a owner name which you probably just put your full name

and then you create a logon name which has to start with a lowercase letter, usually you just do your first name all lower case. If you can't remember what you did in the install you will have to just start it over

dtravis7 08-10-2006 01:56 PM

Not sure about Ubuntu, but with Suse and Red Hat on the PC I logged in as administrator and the administrator password then I could edit the users and see what I needed to see. Since I have never worked with Ubuntu on the PC but just on the Mac, I am not sure what to look for but I am sure you will find it if you can log in.

novicew 08-10-2006 03:00 PM

I can't think of any other way than re-installing it.

BlindingLights 08-10-2006 06:25 PM

reinstalling it would probably be your best bet.

macEfan 08-10-2006 06:48 PM

thanks guys, all fixed...

Linux reminds me of a combination of both OS X and windows... at least its free, but I still think I like OS X the best :p

Logan 08-11-2006 12:20 AM

Sorry linux doesn't seem to be for you.

(Just kidding. Keep at it, remember free doesn't mean easy and convienent. If you want easy, go with OS X. If you want convienient, go with windows. If you want more money in the wallet, go linux. If you can't remember a username, install windows. tee hee)

BlindingLights 08-11-2006 02:05 AM

Yes, the reason you see Linux as Windows meets OS X is because it runs .exe apps yet is designed on the UNIX interface like OS X. However, it is still prone to viruses. The great thing about it is there are so many distros that it's easy to choose one and customize it further for your needs.