New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Windows MCE on Parallels

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gijoe

gijoe is on a distinguished road

I am trying to run Windows Media Center Edition on a Macbook using Parallels. I bought the macbook over the weekend and I am waiting for my ram upgrade. I installed and everything appears to be running pretty well. I wanted to go into media center and it gave me a graphics error, then it went into media center which was very sluggish. I am assuming the sluggish performance is from the ram deficiency which will be fixed soon. Is this graphics error something that can be fixed by a driver? When I try to play recorded tv that I have on the network is it going to be visible on my macbook using parallels? Please let me know if anyone has any experiences with MCE on Paralles or can help me with my first mac. I love everything else about it so far!
QUOTE Thanks
kaidomac

kaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nice
Mac Specs: G4 Cube

Parallels has an 8mb emulated video card. It's very weak for doing anything serious with graphics, but it will get you by for most apps (like Word or Firefox).

Mac Sites - down for reconstruction
QUOTE Thanks
gijoe

Thank you for the reply, I will give bootcamp a try tonight.
QUOTE Thanks
Mr Bobbins

Mr Bobbins has a spectacular aura about

If you want to be doing things that involve using the graphics card then boot camp is a better option. I have an intel Mac mini which my son uses for playing computer games on under Windows XP, works fine with all the games that I've tried on it so far.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoe
Thank you for the reply, I will give bootcamp a try tonight.
You will not be able to use Windows MCE with Boot Camp.
You will have to use Windows XP with SP2:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boot Camp System Requirements
To use Boot Camp Beta, you need:

An Intel-based Macintosh computer with a built-in or USB keyboard and a built-in trackpad or USB mouse
Mac OS X 10.4.6 or later
The latest firmware update available for your Intel-based Mac
At least 10 GB of free space on your startup disk (single partition)
A full, single-disc version of Windows XP Home Edition or Professional with Service Pack 2 or later

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Mr Bobbins

Mr Bobbins has a spectacular aura about

Also Boot camp will expire September 2007 which will mean that you'll have to buy Leopard (the follow up to 10.4) or install the open source version which can be found here:

http://wiki.onmac.net/index.php/Main_Page
QUOTE Thanks
gijoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y
You will not be able to use Windows MCE with Boot Camp.
You will have to use Windows XP with SP2:
The only reason you cannot use MCE w/ Boot Camp is because it is on two cd's. If you combine it to one dvd or use an external drive everything is fine :doctor:
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« WMP 11 beta crashing | Ubuntu and PowerMac G5 »