New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Quck question about re-booting Wintel iMac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Back2MacinNYC

Back2MacinNYC is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20 inch Intel iMac 2 gig ram :)

A big thank you to those who answered my first post on here when I first got my imac. I have had almost three weeks now and love it. Every once in a while I do notice a slow down of apps and such. The usual symptoms from windows days--sluggish typing, slow switching between apps. etc.

My question is does rebooting have the same effect in Mac world --speciffically the wintel macs as it does in the windows world? I know that rebooting in windows XP clears some "stuff" out of whatever was making it slow and resets some things I assume and for a while will make windows appear more crisp and fast in many tasks. With my XP machine I'd have to do that every few hours (XP crud build up) with the iMac it's maybe happened every five days if that? Just curious is rebooting on iMac does the same apparent system "refresh" for lack of a better word.

Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
BlindingLights

BlindingLights is a jewel in the roughBlindingLights is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD

first off, should be posted in the Boot Camp section...

anyway welcome to the forums

and OS X does NOT build up crap like XP does, and you won't have to reinstall OS X every nine months like you do XP, just a repair disk permissions once in a blue moon... but OS X is MUCH smoother than XP. You'll find it's faster and more reliable (in part because it's based on unix)

the back of our computer looks better than the front of theirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_boy22
i can store many dvds on 1 floppy so it's essential to me
QUOTE Thanks
dohidied

dohidied is a jewel in the roughdohidied is a jewel in the roughdohidied is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindingLights
first off, should be posted in the Boot Camp section...
re-read his post. he says nothing about boot camp.

as for the topic at hand, i don't really know what the problem could be. maybe you could try macjanitor.

http://personalpages.tds.net/~brian_...acjanitor.html
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by dohidied
re-read his post. he says nothing about boot camp.

as for the topic at hand, i don't really know what the problem could be. maybe you could try macjanitor.

http://personalpages.tds.net/~brian_...acjanitor.html
I suggest that you and the original poster BOTH re-read the sticky at the top of EVERY forum:
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ann...ouncementid=12

Quote:
All questions regarding using Bootcamp, running Windows, or anything having to do with Windows programs should be postedin the Windows, Linux, and Other Software forum.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 Tiger and OS 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y
I suggest that you and the original poster BOTH re-read the sticky at the top of EVERY forum:
I suggest you and the rest of the thought police read the original post. Nowhere does it say the iMac is running Windows.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Study
I suggest you and the rest of the thought police read the original post. Nowhere does it say the iMac is running Windows.
Well I may be mistaken, and if I am I apologize, but I took the following
Quote:
My question is does rebooting have the same effect in Mac world --speciffically the wintel macs as it does in the windows world? I know that rebooting in windows XP clears some "stuff" out of whatever was making it slow and resets some things I assume and for a while will make windows appear more crisp and fast in many tasks. With my XP machine I'd have to do that every few hours (XP crud build up) with the iMac it's maybe happened every five days if that? Just curious is rebooting on iMac does the same apparent system "refresh" for lack of a better word.
to mean that the OP was running Windows on the iMac. I read it that he was comparing rebooting his Windows partition on the iMac to rebooting Windows on a native PC... which would place this post in the BootCamp/Windows/Linux forum. Upon reading it again, I can see where it could also be taken to simply mean he was booting an OSX iMac... so again I apologize if that is the case and offense was taken by the OP. Whatever the case, the thread has since been moved here anyway.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
dohidied

dohidied is a jewel in the roughdohidied is a jewel in the roughdohidied is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz

wow, that's some great moderating. he was simply asking if osx behaves like windows does with a build up of "crud" and rebooting. i didn't know we weren't allowed to make comparisons to windows in the switcher forum anymore. :rolleyes:
QUOTE Thanks
ronald_poi

yes, even when i am a fanboy i try to not do that... anyway, windows and mac are both very different and no, restart wont make your mac run better... you're going slow 'cause most of the applications we run have been made for powerpc, and they doesn't run good enough on your intel based mac... your best choice is give it more ram, and you'll be fine... with time your applications will be universal (powerpc or intel) so it will run a lot better...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« parallels help?? | keyboard commands in bootcamp »