New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

So how do we backup the XP side of Boot Camp?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kaidomac

kaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nice
Mac Specs: G4 Cube

Edit: Discovered a method, will post details later

I'm interested in finding a solution for making a complete clone (disk image) of Windows XP under Boot Camp. Currently, the best solution I know of is CopyCatX, a $60 program that makes a complete clone of the hard drive (both OS X and XP). I'm looking for a way to make a copy of just the XP partition.

The first option I tried was Norton Ghost. I couldn't make a copy the usual way (restarting from Windows and having Ghost auto-boot into it's backup program). It gave me the error "Unable to read MBR in Virtual Partition DLL". So I tried restarting the computer and booting up from the Ghost CD (which is bootable). It froze at the menu. So Ghost is currently a no-go, although I'm still holding out hope.

The second option I tried is Apple's own Disk Utility. I made a .dmg of the XP partition, which was successful. However, I wasn't able to restore it from within OS X. I did some research and discovered that you supposedly can't restore an image to a partition that is on the same disk that your boot partition is. So I hooked up my Intel Mini to my wife's Intel iMac in Target Disk Mode via Firewire to see if I could copy the image back that way. Nope, the restore option is still grayed out. I gave it a last shot by booting the Mini's OS X disk and using Disk Utility from there. Still a no-go.

I've read about various options using BartPE and other tools. I gave BartPE a try and didn't have any luck, but I'm no BartPE expert. If anyone knows how to clone just the XP partition, I'm all ears. Otherwise I'll give CopyCatX a shot.

Mac Sites - down for reconstruction
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

I think you'll have to use a backup utility that copies the files you want to backup, rather than one that clones the entire partition.
QUOTE Thanks
kaidomac

kaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich
I think you'll have to use a backup utility that copies the files you want to backup, rather than one that clones the entire partition.
The trouble with that is that I use a lot of programs, especially a lot of small, custom applications. My install list is ~55 programs long and I like to make a base installation, create a cloned backup disk or image to a spare hard drive, and then restore that as needed. Really cuts down on my maintenance time because I don't have to reinstall every single one of those programs again. I still use many of them as I am still in the midst of switching and I'm not willing to re-invest in many applications like Adobe CS until they become universal. Thus I want to create a backup of the XP side of things. I think I'm just going to call it quits and pick up CopyCatX.

QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

I would back it up just like any other Windows Box....

QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss
I would back it up just like any other Windows Box....
...and backup until quarter 2, when Adobe releases CS3
QUOTE Thanks
BlindingLights

BlindingLights is a jewel in the roughBlindingLights is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD

i would actually recommend trying to back up to an external. It's what I do, and it's fast, efficient, and is fail-safe.

the back of our computer looks better than the front of theirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_boy22
i can store many dvds on 1 floppy so it's essential to me
QUOTE Thanks
kaidomac

Just an FYI, I figured out how to do it - Bart WinPE + DriveImage XML is the ticket. I'll post details later, but it is definately doable

QUOTE Thanks
kaidomac

I posted a quickie version over at the OnMac.net forums for those of you who don't need step-by-step directions:

http://forum.onmac.net/showpost.php?p=8837&postcount=8

QUOTE Thanks
Mathiau

Mathiau is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook Black 2ghz / 2g / 160g72k | Ipod nano black 4G

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindingLights
i would actually recommend trying to back up to an external. It's what I do, and it's fast, efficient, and is fail-safe.
going to an external drive is not fail safe - power outage? Harddrive dies? USB / Firewire cable gets accidently falls out, or port dies.

Nothing in the world of technology is fail sfe.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Boot camp and GPU overclocking | Can someone show a screenshot of their device manager using MBP? »