Specs:
    G4 Cube
    So how do we backup the XP side of Boot Camp?
    Edit: Discovered a method, will post details later

I'm interested in finding a solution for making a complete clone (disk image) of Windows XP under Boot Camp. Currently, the best solution I know of is CopyCatX, a $60 program that makes a complete clone of the hard drive (both OS X and XP). I'm looking for a way to make a copy of just the XP partition.

The first option I tried was Norton Ghost. I couldn't make a copy the usual way (restarting from Windows and having Ghost auto-boot into it's backup program). It gave me the error "Unable to read MBR in Virtual Partition DLL". So I tried restarting the computer and booting up from the Ghost CD (which is bootable). It froze at the menu. So Ghost is currently a no-go, although I'm still holding out hope.

The second option I tried is Apple's own Disk Utility. I made a .dmg of the XP partition, which was successful. However, I wasn't able to restore it from within OS X. I did some research and discovered that you supposedly can't restore an image to a partition that is on the same disk that your boot partition is. So I hooked up my Intel Mini to my wife's Intel iMac in Target Disk Mode via Firewire to see if I could copy the image back that way. Nope, the restore option is still grayed out. I gave it a last shot by booting the Mini's OS X disk and using Disk Utility from there. Still a no-go.

I've read about various options using BartPE and other tools. I gave BartPE a try and didn't have any luck, but I'm no BartPE expert. If anyone knows how to clone just the XP partition, I'm all ears. Otherwise I'll give CopyCatX a shot.
    Mac Sites - down for reconstruction

Specs:
    Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
    I think you'll have to use a backup utility that copies the files you want to backup, rather than one that clones the entire partition.

Specs:
    G4 Cube
    Quote Originally Posted by Aptmunich
    I think you'll have to use a backup utility that copies the files you want to backup, rather than one that clones the entire partition.
    The trouble with that is that I use a lot of programs, especially a lot of small, custom applications. My install list is ~55 programs long and I like to make a base installation, create a cloned backup disk or image to a spare hard drive, and then restore that as needed. Really cuts down on my maintenance time because I don't have to reinstall every single one of those programs again. I still use many of them as I am still in the midst of switching and I'm not willing to re-invest in many applications like Adobe CS until they become universal. Thus I want to create a backup of the XP side of things. I think I'm just going to call it quits and pick up CopyCatX.

Specs:
    3.4 Ghz i7 27 in iMac (2012), 3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone 6+
    I would back it up just like any other Windows Box....

Specs:
    2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
    Quote Originally Posted by baggss
    I would back it up just like any other Windows Box....
    ...and backup until quarter 2, when Adobe releases CS3

Specs:
    iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
    i would actually recommend trying to back up to an external. It's what I do, and it's fast, efficient, and is fail-safe.
    the back of our computer looks better than the front of theirs

Quote Originally Posted by Super_boy22
    i can store many dvds on 1 floppy so it's essential to me

Specs:
    G4 Cube
    Just an FYI, I figured out how to do it - Bart WinPE + DriveImage XML is the ticket. I'll post details later, but it is definately doable

Specs:
    G4 Cube
    I posted a quickie version over at the OnMac.net forums for those of you who don't need step-by-step directions:

http://forum.onmac.net/showpost.php?p=8837&postcount=8

Specs:
    MacBook Black 2ghz / 2g / 160g72k | Ipod nano black 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by BlindingLights
    i would actually recommend trying to back up to an external. It's what I do, and it's fast, efficient, and is fail-safe.
    going to an external drive is not fail safe - power outage? Harddrive dies? USB / Firewire cable gets accidently falls out, or port dies.

Nothing in the world of technology is fail sfe.

Thread Information