Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1


    Member Since
    Jan 18, 2006
    Posts
    1,868
    Specs:
    G4 Cube
    Looking for some beta testers for an audio fix
    Update: Added MacBook Pro files, new file is here:

    http://www.wiredbynature.org/temp/speakerfix2.zip

    I am in need of beta testers! I have a small package that contains an audio fix for Boot Camp - it disables the internal speaker on the Mini and MacBook. I need information and tests run on the following machines under XP/Boot Camp:

    -Intel iMac
    -Intel Mini
    -MacBook
    -MacBook Pro 15.4"
    -MacBook Pro 17"

    Here is a link to the file: (use at your own risk, please read the instructions!)

    http://www.wiredbynature.org/temp/speakerfix.zip

    I also need information regarding the registry file. I know that it is different on each type of computer but I'm not sure if it varies from machine to machine of the same model. In Windows under Boot Camp go to Start > Run and type in "regedit". This will bring up the Registry. Navigate to the following entry:

    1. My Computer
    2. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    3. SYSTEM
    4. CurrentControlSet
    5. Control
    6. Class
    7. {4D36E96C-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    * #7 is about 1/3 of the way down, make sure it matches EXACTLY
    8. 0005
    9. Settings
    10. GPIO

    In the right pane of the GPIO folder, there should be 3 entries that look like this:

    (Default) | REG_SZ | (value not set)
    00 | REG_BINARY | 85
    01 | REG_BINARY | 85

    That is what it looks like in my Mini. Please confirm that this is what it looks like in XP under Boot Camp on your Mini, iMac, MacBook, or MacBook Pro. The registry hack simply flips the "00" entry from "85" to "05" for the Mini and from "85" to "15" for the MacBook. I want to verify that the 3 entries listed above are common on all machines. So far the hack works on the Mini and the MacBook; I want to see if it works on the MacBook Pro and Intel iMac. The original thread with this hack can be found over at the onmac.net forums here . I'm simply trying to make a simple package to enable the registry hack.

    Please answer the following questions:
    1. Which Intel machine did you test it on?
    2. Are you using Windows XP Home or Pro?
    3. Are the 3 registry entries similar to mine? If not, how do they differ?
    4. If you have a portable, did it completely kill the laptop speakers?
    5. After applying the hack, did only the headphone/speaker output jack work?

    Thanks for your help!
    Mac Sites - down for reconstruction

  2. #2

    Aptmunich's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 09, 2004
    Location
    Munich
    Posts
    9,073
    Specs:
    Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
    Excellent, I'll give it a try!

  3. #3
    Cowneko
    Guest
    Thumbs up
    Ok.....It works on my Macbook Pro 15" !!!!

    That's the first solution to enable headphones without speakers on this machine, i'm thrilled

    Here's the settings:
    1.There's no 01 entry on the Macbook Pro 15"
    2.On entry 00 modify 85 to 80
    3.That's all, it just work ^^

    have to create reg files to enable/disable speakers now

    Thanks a lot for finding this method

  4. #4


    Member Since
    Jan 18, 2006
    Posts
    1,868
    Specs:
    G4 Cube
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowneko
    Ok.....It works on my Macbook Pro 15" !!!!

    That's the first solution to enable headphones without speakers on this machine, i'm thrilled

    Here's the settings:
    1.There's no 01 entry on the Macbook Pro 15"
    2.On entry 00 modify 85 to 80
    3.That's all, it just work ^^

    have to create reg files to enable/disable speakers now

    Thanks a lot for finding this method
    Cowneko, thanks for the input! I added your settings, please give them a try and let me know how it turns out:

    http://www.wiredbynature.org/temp/speakerfix2.zip
    Mac Sites - down for reconstruction

  5. #5
    Cowneko
    Guest
    Your regfiles are working perfectly :headphone

    Then, it leaves us with the iMacs (17"&20") as well as the Macbook Pro 17" (witch seems to behave in a sligthly different manner than the 15")

  6. #6


    Member Since
    Jan 18, 2006
    Posts
    1,868
    Specs:
    G4 Cube
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowneko
    Your regfiles are working perfectly :headphone

    Then, it leaves us with the iMacs (17"&20") as well as the Macbook Pro 17" (witch seems to behave in a sligthly different manner than the 15")
    Yeah, I noticed that there was a 17" MacBook Pro audio fix over at the onmac.net forums:

    http://forum.onmac.net/showthread.php?t=1268

    Hopefully I can get a reg hack working for that too. I also want to get testers for the regular MacBook; I'm curious to see if the MacBook is missing the "01" file like your MacBook is.

    Question for you as I don't have access to an Intel portable: does this hack kill the laptop speakers? I'm not sure if Apple's laptops have a seperate internal speaker (internal speaker + laptop speakers). Thanks again for testing it out, I really appreciate it!
    Mac Sites - down for reconstruction

  7. #7
    Cowneko
    Guest
    Yes it kills the speakers on my laptop, I don't think it has a separate internal speaker (as on PC motherboards).

    This is a good hack to use the headphone lineout only, but the best thing will be to find out how to road the signal off the speakers as we connect the headphones (however I don't think it will be possible with reg hacks......but who knows )

  8. #8


    Member Since
    Jan 18, 2006
    Posts
    1,868
    Specs:
    G4 Cube
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowneko
    Yes it kills the speakers on my laptop, I don't think it has a separate internal speaker (as on PC motherboards).

    This is a good hack to use the headphone lineout only, but the best thing will be to find out how to road the signal off the speakers as we connect the headphones (however I don't think it will be possible with reg hacks......but who knows )
    Yeah, either that or have some kind of app in the system tray that we can switch on and off that will automatically apply the registry tweak and reload the driver. I'm not enough of a Windows programmer to know how to do that, so registry files will have to do
    Mac Sites - down for reconstruction

  9. #9
    Rock Hardwell
    Guest
    I can't seem to get it to kill the speakers, but it works fine for the audio output.

    1. Tested on Macbook
    2. Using Windows XP Pro
    3. Yes they are similar: Data column goes: "(value not set)", "15", "85"
    4. It didn't kill the speakers at all
    5. Yes, the headphone jack works, but I still get sound from my macbook speakers.

  10. #10


    Member Since
    Jan 18, 2006
    Posts
    1,868
    Specs:
    G4 Cube
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Hardwell
    I can't seem to get it to kill the speakers, but it works fine for the audio output.

    1. Tested on Macbook
    2. Using Windows XP Pro
    3. Yes they are similar: Data column goes: "(value not set)", "15", "85"
    4. It didn't kill the speakers at all
    5. Yes, the headphone jack works, but I still get sound from my macbook speakers.
    I now have access to an iMac and MacBook and will be testing them this week. I should have the package wrapped up by the end of the week.
    Mac Sites - down for reconstruction

  11. #11


    Member Since
    Feb 23, 2007
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by kaidomac View Post
    I now have access to an iMac and MacBook and will be testing them this week. I should have the package wrapped up by the end of the week.
    wow, i know this is from july, but i was just wondering if anyone actually followed up with this? i have a 17" imac, and before i start messing with my registry, i just wondered if anyone knew for SURE that this worked for an imac.

    thanks in advance!

    *EDIT*

    I tried the steps listed in THIS POST, and everything seems to work now! I hear sound through my external speakers/headphones, but not from the built-in ones

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Software beta testers needed.
    By mbohn in forum OS X - Development and Darwin
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-20-2010, 05:40 PM
  2. Need Mac Beta testers!
    By DJToRch in forum Music, Audio, and Podcasting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-26-2007, 10:50 PM
  3. New Application: Need Beta Testers
    By EDIT-XTREEM in forum Schweb's Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-09-2007, 01:09 PM
  4. Beta Solitaire Testers needed
    By Miserable Coot in forum OS X - Apps and Games
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-06-2007, 11:08 PM
  5. Beta Testers Wanted . . . .
    By Mari in forum Schweb's Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-19-2004, 06:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •