New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Anyone Running Linux on an Intel Mac Mini?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

I am curious to see if anyone has successfully got Linux running on an Intel Mac Mini? If so, were all the devices (internet, CD/DVD, speakers, mic, etc.) all supported properly? Any problems with fan noise? What Linux did you try? Thanks!

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
Paralex

Paralex is a jewel in the roughParalex is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 20", Intel Core Duo 2.0Ghz, 2GB RAM, 500GB HD, ATI Radeon X1600/256MB VRAM

I think it won't be as affective as if it were running on a PC. Bootcamp only supplies drivers for Windows.

Unless, the Linux distro you installed supports the Mac Mini's hardware.
QUOTE Thanks
Logan

I just threw in my Knoppix 4.0 CD into the drive of my Mac Mini (see notes on left).

It booted into KDE, Mouse detected (Microsoft Wireless Mouse), keyboard detected (i-rocks). No buffer issues, unable to detect hard drive (partitioned FAT32 and OS X via bootcamp).

found USB, Firewire, video card, not sure about sound. Dual Chip Board detected.

SLAX bootup: Sound works, video card works.. I get a minor lag when moving mouse. auto-mounted hard drives are sda3 (my Fat32 bootcamp partition). Not sure about dual core, not sure about OS X HDD detection (doubt it).

Slackware 10.2: No luck. kernel panic right after bootup.

Haven't bothered installing a linux distro on my mac mini just yet, and yeah.. it appears the "base.i" type kernels for PC boards work just fine with mactels, the problem you run into is device detection is kind of hit or miss.

SLAX sounds like they'll be including proper Mac Mini support after a post I had on their place. Personally, I think SLAX is the way to go for down and dirty linux. :]
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Thanks for the updates Logan.

The lack of OS X hard drive support will be due to the absence of the hfsplus kernel module. So far the only Linux distro I have played with that will read Mac OS X formatted external drives is SuSE Linux 9.3, which does include this module, delivering full read/write support. I suspect that the others simpply don't have it included in their default line up.

SLAX does sound good, and it looks like with a little work, it could fill the bill. My *guess* is that SuSE will work too, but I'll have to try it out and see.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
BlindingLights

BlindingLights is a jewel in the roughBlindingLights is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD

Google it, I've read that people have gotten Linux running comfortably under OS X on an Intel Mac.

the back of our computer looks better than the front of theirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_boy22
i can store many dvds on 1 floppy so it's essential to me
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Installing Windows Media Center | Default OS »