Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21
  1. #1
    rgivans
    Guest
    Trouble installing XP on Black MacBook....
    I have a legit copy of XP Pro with SP2 (slippstreamed the correct way allready). The CD works great and boots into Windows Installer fine (BIOS part I think its called). Anyways when it gets to the point to ask me about Partitioning it will say "The Disc you inserted is not a valid Windows disc" I hit Enter and it will say it over and over. So Ill hit F3 to cancel the XP install and it will try it all over again, it loads all the Windows files fine in the beginning.

    I have made like 5 copies of this disc (even used OS X Disk utility to extract the image off the CD and re-burn it using disc utility) and it still does the same thing.

    This happends in Parallels WS and in Boot Camp. One thing I did notice is I am unable to update my MacBook with 10.4.6 Firmware update (it says this drive does not support the update). But it never shows that update in Software Updater.


    Any ideas??? I can post screen shots if that will help.

  2. #2
    rgivans
    Guest
    Here is a screen shot from 5 minutes ago. neye:
    Attached Images Attached Images

  3. #3
    rgivans
    Guest
    Part of me thought "Hmmm maybe I should throw the XP Image on a portable HDD, and load it through Parallels that way."

    It loaded everything fast as ****.... But I still get the same **** screen once it gets to the point to ask me to partition. What am I doing wrong??

    MacBook specs are as follows....

    2.0GHz Intel Duo
    512MB 667Mhz RAM (going to 2GB when I get XP running).
    80GB HDD
    13.3" Display
    Superdrive DVD-RW

    Is my mac to slow to install this or something? Its been awhile since Ive owned a Mac but I did miss it alot (obviously). Any help would be great as I can NOT find the same problem with anyone on google or any other forum. Im so clueless right now. neye:

  4. #4
    Logan
    Guest
    Post
    Sounds like a bad image all together.
    Doesn't sound like your mac is the culprit.

    Solutions? Hmmm..................................... borrow a friend's legit SP 2 copy of XP, when it gets to that point plop it in just to see if it continues... perhaps..

    Hopefully it's far enough in the installation process to have your CD key on the install, and not your friends.

  5. #5
    rgivans
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Logan
    Sounds like a bad image all together.
    Doesn't sound like your mac is the culprit.

    Solutions? Hmmm..................................... borrow a friend's legit SP 2 copy of XP, when it gets to that point plop it in just to see if it continues... perhaps..

    Hopefully it's far enough in the installation process to have your CD key on the install, and not your friends.
    Im an IT Tech for a mortgage company and I have 20+ legit copies of XP Pro (all new Keys too). Ive tried 3 different discs on this mac.

    Is it true you can only do this by creating a slipstreamed copy? It would make more sense to me if you could use the actual OEM disc.

    Any ideas?

    *Thanks for the reply dude*

  6. #6

    jhelm007's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 18, 2004
    Location
    Norfolk, VA, USA
    Posts
    629
    Specs:
    MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
    Quote Originally Posted by rgivans
    Is it true you can only do this by creating a slipstreamed copy? It would make more sense to me if you could use the actual OEM disc.
    If your OEM disk is the SP2 version then there is no need to make a slipstreamed copy. the copying is only necessary if you have a non SP2 XP install disk.

  7. #7
    rgivans
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jhelm007
    If your OEM disk is the SP2 version then there is no need to make a slipstreamed copy. the copying is only necessary if you have a non SP2 XP install disk.

    Ahhh ok.... Well hmmm Im going to try all 20 discs until I get one to work.

  8. #8

    dtravis7's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 04, 2005
    Location
    Modesto, Ca.
    Posts
    28,898
    Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    IF the CD is XP SP2 you do not need to slipstream at all. Just put the CD in the drive and use it. Are these OEM CD's or the full XP Pro. When I ran Bootcamp and installed XP I use the Full version and not the OEM.

    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.h...um=303572#faq0

    After reading that URL I am not sure if an OEM will work. Has anyone installed an OEM version of XP on an Intel Mac?

  9. #9
    rgivans
    Guest
    You know what?? I just got it to work. I used an OEM disc (without SP2) Version 2002 and it loaded and installed fine. Its running XP Pro perfectly now.....


    Hmmmmm....

  10. #10

    dtravis7's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 04, 2005
    Location
    Modesto, Ca.
    Posts
    28,898
    Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    They flat out say it has to be SP2. If you try to install SP2, I am almost sure it will not install. That is what others have said. Good Luck.

  11. #11
    rgivans
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dtravis7
    They flat out say it has to be SP2. If you try to install SP2, I am almost sure it will not install. That is what others have said. Good Luck.

    Umm it just worked dude. Only through Parallels though, now when I try in Boot Camp it disables the Keyboard (so I cant guide through the install).

    Is there anyway Parallels can install on a certain partition? Without being a VM?

  12. #12

    dtravis7's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 04, 2005
    Location
    Modesto, Ca.
    Posts
    28,898
    Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    The URL I gave you was for Bootcamp. What happens in Parallels I do not know. Never worked with it. I am pretty sure though that Parallels makes a VM file on the HDD. Maybe someone else who has used it can comment farther.

  13. #13

    BlindingLights's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 17, 2006
    Posts
    688
    Specs:
    iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
    DUDE...

    just go buy a FULL copy of Windows XP SP2... it'll work fine. I've read that OEMs don't work, and sometimes, keyboards in general don't work (especially wireless). But that last part goes for ALL XPs. try with a different USB keyboard.
    the back of our computer looks better than the front of theirs


    Quote Originally Posted by Super_boy22
    i can store many dvds on 1 floppy so it's essential to me

  14. #14

    jhelm007's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 18, 2004
    Location
    Norfolk, VA, USA
    Posts
    629
    Specs:
    MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
    Quote Originally Posted by rgivans
    Umm it just worked dude. Only through Parallels though, now when I try in Boot Camp it disables the Keyboard (so I cant guide through the install).

    Is there anyway Parallels can install on a certain partition? Without being a VM?
    Yeah parallels will load lots of stuff that bootcamp won't like linux and windows 3.1, 9x, 2000, etc.

    Bootcamp can use OEM disks, but it has to be a singl disk full install with sp2

  15. #15
    rgivans
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BlindingLights
    DUDE...

    just go buy a FULL copy of Windows XP SP2... it'll work fine. I've read that OEMs don't work, and sometimes, keyboards in general don't work (especially wireless). But that last part goes for ALL XPs. try with a different USB keyboard.

    What do you mean buy a full copy?? I get copies of XP Pro SP2 new every week. I order a ton of them for work everytime we get a new machine. I have plenty of retail XP Pro copies here. All with legit unused serials too.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Installing SSD on my 2007 MacBook black
    By mtamazing in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-29-2012, 11:33 PM
  2. trouble downloading and installing to Macbook
    By ccoon10 in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-30-2012, 09:40 PM
  3. Trouble installing W7 on MacBook Pro
    By MxcnUser in forum Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-16-2011, 11:05 PM
  4. Black Macbook 2008 Installing Windows
    By foganime in forum Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-21-2011, 02:04 PM
  5. Trouble installing Vista on new Macbook
    By mangler in forum Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-31-2009, 10:57 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •