New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Parallels Workstation vs. BootCamp

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

iHeartSTI

iHeartSTI is an unknown at this point

i need to be able to install PC programs on my Mac for work. what are the main differences between these two programs? and how easy are they to work. i am no computer guru and my tech guy here isnt too Mac profficient so i need something that doesnt give me too much grief.

also, with Parallels Workstation will i be able to run PC games just like if i was on a PC?

thank-you

-adam
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

parallel is an emulator so it is going to be relatively slow compared to anything else.

boot camp allows you to boot into windows or to os x. starting up in xp will be faster than emulating xp in os x, but if you need to do something like run a small math program or something like that parallel will be fine for you. if you want to play games, bootcamp is going to be a whole heck of a lot better
-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

You can read this article.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

This review will tell you about Parallel's and how it compairs to Boot Camp performance wise.

http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=2740&p=12
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

All Windows questions belong in the Windows forum.

I will move this there.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
DeathToPCs

can I use Boot Camp and Parallels Workstation on the same HDD? I want to be able to run windows fast but at the same time I want to be able to switch back and forth when I need to without restarting. Is this possible to do? I know that if I run Parallels it will only have to be done on the Mac OSX partition and not the windows.
QUOTE Thanks
iPodJon120

iPodJon120 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2GHz 250 GB 2 GB RAM 256 MB VRAM, 80 GB 5.5G iPod, 8 GB iPhone

Running Parallels is just like any other app. It just saves the installed OS as just one big file. Partitioning within the virtual machine has no affect on your computer, just how big your virtual drives are.

20" Intel iMac 2GHz 250 GB HD 2 GB RAM 256 MB VRAM
80 GB 5.5G iPod
8 GB iPhone
QUOTE Thanks
dohidied

dohidied is a jewel in the roughdohidied is a jewel in the roughdohidied is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathToPCs
I want to be able to run windows fast but at the same time I want to be able to switch back and forth when I need to without restarting. Is this possible to do?
no, you can't. you can run windows at full speed with boot camp or you can switch back and forth quickly with parallels. either way you go you have to compromise.
QUOTE Thanks
BlindingLights

BlindingLights is a jewel in the roughBlindingLights is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathToPCs
can I use Boot Camp and Parallels Workstation on the same HDD? I want to be able to run windows fast but at the same time I want to be able to switch back and forth when I need to without restarting.
Don't we all? That's part of the race. You won't be able to run Windows that fast unless you max out RAM, and even still it's not fast enough to game. Just use Boot Camp.

the back of our computer looks better than the front of theirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_boy22
i can store many dvds on 1 floppy so it's essential to me
QUOTE Thanks
iHeartSTI

iHeartSTI is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by dohidied
no, you can't. you can run windows at full speed with boot camp or you can switch back and forth quickly with parallels. either way you go you have to compromise.
so your saying bootcamp has a 1:1 speed ratio to that of a PC. but you cant switch back and fourth between OS's. on the other hand with parallels you CAN switch back and fourth between OS's but it doesnt run as fast.

question: compared to your normal computer speed. what is the realistic speed when using parallels to run windows? (ex: 75% slower)
QUOTE Thanks
BlindingLights

BlindingLights is a jewel in the roughBlindingLights is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD

honestly, if you're not using any SUPER intensive programs, parallels is fine.

Or, you could go the FREE way and run more graphically challenging programs, while waiting a total of about two minutes for windows to load.

why do people care about switching between the OSes? neither take more than two minutes or so to load.

the back of our computer looks better than the front of theirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_boy22
i can store many dvds on 1 floppy so it's essential to me
QUOTE Thanks
Harryc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindingLights
honestly, if you're not using any SUPER intensive
why do people care about switching between the OSes? neither take more than two minutes or so to load.
Convenience? I use Parallels extensively running SuSE Linux 10.0 and XP. I don't find it any slower for the Apps I use than normal windows or Linux running on a PC. I do have 2GB of RAM though and I do not game. If you are going to use Parallels alot max out your RAM.
QUOTE Thanks
hfb320

hfb320 is on a distinguished road

I already have parallel installed and it works fine with windows xp but can I install boot camp in addition and if so what will I see when I boot up and other operations I will have to do
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach_z View Post
parallel is an emulator so it is going to be relatively slow compared to anything else.
I wish people would stop posting this as it is incorrect and perpetuates a pretty unfair myth. For most tasks, Parallels is almost as fast as a native PC with similar hardware - occasionally EVEN FASTER!

http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=2740&p=14

To be precise, Parallels can use one core of your CoreDuo, but for 99% of things, so so can Windows XP so little or no difference is seen. Please actually do some research before posting things like this that may affect someone's decision.

The only thing that is emulated is DirectDraw - so in theory graphics are slower and DX8 or DX9 games are not possible (or very slow). Spreadsheet work, browsing or even Photoshop work is just about as fast or even faster. CS2 under parallels will be quicker than under OS X, as Parallels beats Rosetta hands down and even beats some native PCs.

I use SuSE and XP under Parallels and both run quicker than under my previous hardware (AMD64 1.8ghz. so no slouch).

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
knightlie

knightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really nice
Mac Specs: Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen

Zoolook speaks the truth, Parallels is more than fast enough for non-graphics intensive applications and it is most definitely not an emulator. Another advantage is the ability to suspend the VM - I have my Win2K machine ready and waiting with virtually no startup-time, just a few seconds.

Unless you're gaming, and assuming you max out the RAM, BootCamp has no advantage over Parallels for day-to-day apps.

[URL="http://beadia.net"]Beadia[/URL - Jewelry Business Management Software]
I judge you when you use poor grammar.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« HELP!!! iBook G3 VirtualPC - Airport drivers? | BootCamp file access »